What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian peat bog

No, it didn't survive. This year I'll try some plants for fun, like Utricularia longifolia. I know that it will die, but just for the fun of having it during summer.

Well why don't you put one outside and keep one inside so that you'll always have one?

I won't put ALL my longifolia in my peat bog, only half of it.

Cool, maybe putting it in the peat bog will conjure up a flower or two?

Okay, here some news: My secret is that I'm planning to build a pond with my peat bog, and a waterpomp would make a waterscape that go threw the peat bog. BUT!, I got a job (biology technician) last week far away from home, so I won't be there to finish it until 20 August. I don't have the time to add new plants, but I managed to add plants from my ancient peat bog.

p1030787xv5.jpg

p1030796tt4.jpg

p1040026qp6.jpg

p1040027ae4.jpg

The waterscape
p1040028yo4.jpg

Futur pond:
p1040029qj6.jpg

Major coolness Dom,

But why did you name your new bog "Sam" in the third picture? ;)

Very nice.
thumbs_up.gif
Looks like a lot of work though. You must have a lot of energy.

Keep it up!!

Lol, it's just a carboard sheet that I used to fix the rubber sheet (came from an election pannel)

Sam's my name.

That's right, he loves me, lol.

Very beautiful bog. I had doubts of myself making one of these in time because it was so cold here in East-Central Wisconsin during the winter, thinking I would need like 36 inches of mulch and all this extra stuff for it to survive! Yet all you do is put some dead leaves and a plastic sheet on it. We get a lot of snow sometimes too. Not TONS but we do get some :). This has motivated me, and you have beautiful plants! Your common coldness in January and February is near our record! So we usually get much lower (-25F is usually the lowest it gets in the depths of winter at night, it's usually in the negatives all the time or in the single digits during Jan/Feb)

This is so amazing.

It gives me hope that if/when I move back north to get away from this awful heat in Atlanta, I can bring my "children" with me and have them live!

Okay Dom,

What news of your outdoor bog? How has it been doing this summer?

:pics:

I wonder what ever became of Dom and his impressive outdoor bog??

I wonder how it did this winter...

???

Don't worry folks, I'm not dead (yet). :boogie: Sorry for the wait, just forgot this forum.

August 21 2007:

Hi! I'm back. Here some news: The peat bog is doing well, same thing for my terrarium. Looks like my father was able to take good care of 'em.

General view:

p1040638gq1.jpg

p1040640pm3.jpg

Shadow plants (utricularia and pinguicula)
p1040641it7.jpg

Saracenia purpurea:

p1040642kq4.jpg

p1040645ee4.jpg

Saracenia oreophila:

p1040647fv6.jpg

Saracenia flava 'cupper head'

p1040650kg3.jpg

p1040651na5.jpg

Drosera rotundifolia:

p1040652op5.jpg

Drosera intermedia:

p1040654ji6.jpg

Drosera anglica:

p1040655xs2.jpg

Utricularia longifolia:

p1040656dn2.jpg

Utricularia sandersonii

p1040657mr9.jpg

November 22: First snow of the winter: 15 cm. I used a rubber sheet for an extra protection agains't the cold.
22.JPG

December 01: I've added some snow on my peat bog to protect it from the cold (-19 C)
1.JPG

December 21: We had 2 snow storm this week. The first one gave us 40 cm of snow in one day and the other one 35 cm. It's unusual to have this much snow so early in winter (160 cm in total oe 5 feet). The peat bog is under the snow moutain.
21.JPG

Still more snow (15 cm today, 14 february 2008).

p1050079gz9.jpg

My backyard.

p1050068ri7.jpg

p1050059tw7.jpg

I'm sure you understand now why we (Quebecker) call it «white ****».

Holy cow, that's a lot of snow!

Reminds me of northern Michigan where I grew up.

So, the first bog pics are from last Fall? Very nice. :bigthumpup:

It's gonna be cool to see it when it comes out from under that deep-freeze.

C'MON SPRING!!

That's it. We've beaten our old record of snow (1960, 450 cm of snow). We're now at 463 cm and still counting.

Just spent the past half hour reading over this thread, and I thought your bog was incredible! I'm dying to do something like that, but I'm probably going to be moving out within a year, so I'm gonna have to hold off on any major projects (I don't think I could stand to build something that cool and then leave it behind)

Thanks for the thread :-D

-Gabe

NO MORE SNOW, PLEASE!!! Stop it. We're at 507 cm right now (16.4 ft). A few houses have collapsed in the province under the weight of snow. Spring, you are damn welcome!

Thanks neon-eon

Oh and BTW, I'll fix the missing pics someday...

Back