What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a brand new terrarium

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hello guys,

Some of u guys who come to the VFT section must have noticed that I am a newcomer to this kind of stuff. All this while, I was planning a small fish bowl as a terrarium with around 5 varities of VFT's.

I did research, talked to a ton of ppl and of all a good friend Mabudon said that based on my experience level and my expectation to not spend too much time on this hobby, I should stay away from the dormancy requiring CP's.

So recently I have been out a little looking around for terrariums and just fish bowls.

These are my options in case of a fish bowl.

excuse the crap pics from my cell phone ;)

Fishbowl 1: size = 3 L, price = 4.69 $ CD, Walmart

2008061916yg2.jpg

Fishbowl 2: size = 1 GAL , price = 6.59 $ CD, WALMART

2008061918il7.jpg

----Now presenting one of the most amazing things for this hobby ever---

seen this at square one PJ's pet store.

Its the exo terra terrarium, made of glass.

lg_22657_29986P_023.jpg

prop_1_37734.jpg

I want the first one 30x30x30. Its apparently 29$ US. It has
2 glass doors there. The top is mesh. The bottom has good air circulation. Its basically the BOSE of terrariums (for a newbie like me ;) )

Now what I want to do with this is::::

I want to set it up as a show piece on my table at university. I WILL keep it near the window for plants that require too much sunlight and preffer real sun (like VFT's).
personally after considering the effort. I feel that it is not worth trying to fool around with VFT's at my stage of uni now. I want to have something in there green like some real moss on the bottom, a couple of good looking fern like plants, some jungle, rainforest style appearance. THATS freakin' about it.
smile_n_32.gif
. Seriously, I rather start off with simple easy living plants which could just as well live in a flower pot. I just want the terrarium for show.

Now I need some suggestions from pros like you guys here. After explaining my situation about me "Not wanting to spend too much time incaring for these stuff, except watering with a spary, cleaning glass once in a week or month....thats it. Basically I don;t want to have complicated plants....I rather keep my VFT in its own small pot, see how it does for an yr and then consider about potting VFT's in the terrarium.

Now guys please tell me if its worth spending 30$ + 15 for shipping JUST for the terrarium (PJ's don't carry the small size, they sell the medium for 50$) for my purpose?

Or

Should I just start off by getting that fishbowl, and actually try making that into a terrarium?

Personally, I just love the exo terra terrarium. It is soo unique, feature rich.
smile.gif
And when I do consider it for CP's, the door is right there to open, feed the plants
smile.gif

Humidity is preserved, yet circulation is there becos of fine mesh at the top.

For more info about this terrarium please see this::

http://www.exo-terra.com/EN/products/glass_terrariums_i.html

----------------
IF I DO GET THE EXO OR FISHBOWL tomorrow
------------
Firstly, I will post pics.

Secondly, What is the ideal mix for :

a) I WANT LIVE MOSS. I just love having a green carpet. PJ's has good long fiber spangium DRiED for 9$ for I guess a 15 inch pad. I.e., pretty expensive. where should I go get some of this moss cheaper and especially live one.

b) I have looked at some links for possible terrarium plants...there are a couple of ivy's and all, but do u guys know any ferns or stuff?? small ferns??

After the mix, can u guys also suggest me the plants ideal for my situation?? should I bother with any easier CP's like sundews??

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanx

vraev

PS:: I am pretty sure that some of u would go "hey buddy! U know what? Probably, this is not for u"
smile_n_32.gif
....Believe me! I am actually thinking about that myself....but I just fell in love with the exo terrarium...I just want to find out "for what purpose should I use it"
smile_n_32.gif

This is what I really want :

yvan040200.jpg

yvan040201.jpg

yvan040202.jpg

yvan040205.jpg

source:: http://www2a.biglobe.ne.jp/~wild-sky/vivarium/yvan0402.htm

OMG!! that is amazing
smile.gif
simple...well...kinda complicated...but just plants, a jungle style appearance...with a small stream or pond.
smile.gif

cheers,

vraev

PS:: I wonder what kind of plants are those .....hmmm.....
confused.gif

smile_l_32.gif

love to have the bottom i.e.., floor of the terrarium like that...

mmm....green..

deven02.jpg

deven01.jpg

i have an exoterra terrarium. they are pretty good size wise. in the pic with the 4 different sizes...look at the one in the top rights...yep its a nepenthes(ive seen a zoomed shot)
Alex

If you just want to grow cps really simply, just get a ten gallon fish tank, and put some shoplights above it, and your done.

-Ben

I think he wants something that looks more natural.

Some people like to waste money. Get some neps and put them by the window. Water twice a week. Watch them grow like mine, crazy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ Aug. 21 2006,7:37)]Some people like to waste money. Get some neps and put them by the window. Water twice a week. Watch them grow like mine, crazy.
which reminds me... how is your Hamata doing...or is the one you have 'Predator'??
Alex

i disagree. i think a terrarium, esp a big one, is an investment. it's not only a controlled environment, it's a piece of furniture.

To each thier own.I think it would be cool to have one,although I have no room for one!
biggrin.gif

Jerry

of course
smile.gif

some plants i can't grow in terraria, like D. capensis. I must have a Singaporean terrarium
biggrin.gif

Is there any wholesale place to buy one of those huge terrariums? The local pet stores jack up prices so high its crazy. They accually wanted $50 for a 10gal fishtank and Walmart had the exact same thing for $10 bux. But Walmart dosnt sell the really big ones so where do I get it?

Oh and vraev, I'm right there with you. I'm going to build something like that. Just need to find a good deal on a big terrarium.

Build one!  You don;t need glass sides or back or top even just a glass front.  If I had room to build a nice one I would.  I too want a natural terreium and one day will have a nice one.
Clint So you meen you have killed the capensis I sent you? I thought those things were bomb proof. I still have a bunch.

I got a hamata that is still a baby but it's growing new leaves and the predator I got is also starting to grow new leaves but no pitchers on either one yet. But from the new leaves you can see the start of vine of the pitcher.

Murphy I hate to be technical, but do you mean the tendrals? The vine is the main stem of the plant.

nope, they are outside, josh.

i think i paid around 1K for the 75G tank, the stand, and the canopy. lights were another 175 for a VHO ballast.

hehe, rather my parents paid for it lmao

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Aug. 21 2006,11:50)]Build one! You don;t need glass sides or back or top even just a glass front. If I had room to build a nice one I would. I too want a natural terreium and one day will have a nice one.
Clint So you meen you have killed the capensis I sent you? I thought those things were bomb proof. I still have a bunch.
You know... I never thought of that.

And I have fabrication experience with Lexan. I really could just build one. Whoa, great idea!

GO JB!!

Hey CopcarFC, I finally made a new terrarium (in case if u didn't notice my recent topics)... I spent just 14$ for the tank....4$ for a bale of peat, 4$ for a bag of perlite. Thats all for materials. I got some rain water.....got 4 VFT's, 1 D.capensis (in bad shape)....apart from that...the terrarium is near a south window and there seems to be NO DireCT light at all. Yet...even in the morning...I keep a 13 watt white light on...so they are recovering pretty well. The traps are already responsive...the typical has red traps. The B52 is a light red at the farthest insides and the dentate has a rosy light red.

check my sig for a pic or so
biggrin.gif

Back