What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basement setup

• Thread starter droseraguy
  • Start date

droseraguy

Illinois
Meaven was trying to do stuff in his basement so I thought I'd post a few pics of my setup.

HPIM0494.jpg

HPIM0495.jpg

HPIM0498.jpg

HPIM0502.jpg

HPIM0503.jpg

HPIM0504.jpg

HPIM0505.jpg

Temps don't fluctuate too much.

Looking good, Chris! Are those Tupperware containers, the kind that you can microwave? The only thing I can think you're lacking are yogurt containers.
smile_m_32.gif

No Jim, He needs the little plastic cups the sliced grapefruit in them. Much better than yogurt.
smile_n_32.gif

ok. last picture very middle....what kind of VFT is that! the traps look huge!! how high is humidity and what is the usual temps? nice setup btw
Alex

The 2 vfts in the last pic are D. muscipula 'walmartensis'. I happened by a display and couldn't stop myself, after sorting through the 50 or so there I picked out the 2 biggest.

The humidity varies from summer time highs of 80% @ 65-70 F to winter time lows of 50% @ 50-60 F. I run a dehumidifier in the main room. This is the small untility room with the water softner and sump pump and RO unit. Lots of paint cans and holiday decorations too.

Yes jimscott those are the tupperware (sarr. nursery) containers. Nobody here eats yogurt or I'd have them too !

The top part is a nursery by default, and the bottom for growing up big and strong. Ususally the bottom lights are just a few inches above the containers. I just put them up for the pics and watering, blank staring and daydreaming etc...

a few more plant pics...

HPIM0509.jpg

HPIM0508.jpg

HPIM0507.jpg

HPIM0506.jpg

this is mine (only way more crowded now...)-

Setup.jpg

what kind of bulbs/fixtures do you use?

I checked my fixtures over the weekend and came up with the bulb type for ya. They are all Sylvania Cool White Plus - 40Watt - 3000 Lumen - 4100 K. (T12). The fixtures are just what ever 4' shop light was on sale, no more that $15.00. Buy the flourescent tubes in a case at Menards and you'll save $$. I didn't look anywhere else for them though so they might be at another DIY store too.

Back