What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing area revitalization

Yeah Clint the Cynoches hybrid is drooping a little.  That new growth is barely hanging on.  I got it like that at my OS raffle, but there is a newer growth that is coming in too.  If it breaks off do you want it Clint?

Copcar, Nepenthes AK, ans Xvart. Sure I will get you a close up of Pic #6.  Those are all my Utrics.  The green stuff in the water is Azolla.  Its a water fern that has a bacteria in the leaf tissue.  The bacteria fixes Nitrogen, and it does so good of a job that it makes to much for the Azolla to use so it leaches out into the water.  The water surrounding the Utrics should be full of nitrogen leached out by the Azolla.  Free natural fertilizer for the plants.  I have been growing them like that ever since I started groing CPs.  So far they are not keeping over dead.  I will get those closeup pics for you soon.  I am working fri, sat and sunday night.  So it may or may not be this weekend, but I should be able to do it Monday.

Thanks everyone for the comments.  I am happy how it is turning out.

This is a crappy drawing of the floor plan I am thinking of.
157051839O852326870.jpg

This is what the wife proposed.
157051881O931110812.jpg

If you guys have any ideas let me know.

Regardless of floor plan I will have bars hanging from the rafters for the hanging plants since those will not affect how the floor is arranged.  I also plan on adding a rack of some sort to the tall back wall to hang mounted plants on, and I will add more wire shelves above the one long one I have on the wall already.  Thanks for you folks input too!  I think I have done good for only having a couple hundred bucks in it and for my second atempt at building my own GH.  I will be honest though.  After I recover this GH next year with pollycarbinate, I will not be building another fron scratch.  I will be going with a prefab that is MUCH larger than this one.  Thanks again everyone.

Thanks! That's so nice of you!

I like your wife's plan.

Oh boy I was fearing that LOL That way leaves more floor open, but I guess before I start worrying about it I need to do some measuring to see exactly what will fit and where. Since I definately will be using the old benches and building new ones to finish it out.

Yeah, but it looks nicer.

Why not just make them touch side to side. Like, take the smaller benches and push them together to make a giant bench.

Because if I turn them onto theri sides with the short end touching the wall I will not be able to reach the entire bench if I slide them together. I need to be able to access the entire top of the bench. It is already going to be hard enough getting plants to the top of the wall where I plant o hang my mounts whenI do put that rack up.

I have the hanging rods finished. Now I have room for hanging plant!
158327410O325057239.jpg

158327422O840117302.jpg

158327429O759716509.jpg

158327401O086334081.jpg

Now for some closeups that were requested. I will give the plant names on requests.

158327465O878451573.jpg

158327517O220690209.jpg

158327561O578259666.jpg

158327593O021384098.jpg

it looks to me like a tray of utrics, that hasnt had the water changed, and is growing some type of water weed. but i could be wrong
smile.gif

Alex

definetaly doesnt look like duckweed... looked like sphagnum for a moment...

How many times must I say it guys that that green stuff is AZOLLA!!  It is supposed to be there.  I put it in the tray!  The Azolla has a bacteria in the leaves that fixes nitrogen and the nitrogen leaches out into the water.  Free fertilizer for the Utrics.  Rice farmers have the same stuff growing in the rice fields.  If anyone wants any they can have some.  It multiplies fast.  I wouldn't doubt it is a weed, but a wanted one.  I got it from my Bio teacher.  I have it growing in almost all my standing water areas.

Azolla also know as the mosquito fern, water fern, or duckweed fern.  Azolla

What's the third plant in your second picture post? It has little bunches and azolla growing the pot. Also, how much are you charging for azolla? I've been trying to get my hands on some cause I think it looks a lot better than duckweed, haha.

Dewy leaves are you talking about this plant?
158327724O312545170.jpg

This is Genlisea violacea (giant) It doesn't seem to be spreading all too fast, but I haven't killed it yet. LOL

Very nice project. I envy all the room you have.

Azolla.. mmm techno.

No wait that's Rozalla.

How do all those plants get enough sun through that plastic?

The plastic is opeque. It only cuts the light by a little. Trust me I can burn the heck out of a plant during summer under two layers of clear plastic. I still put 50% shade cloth on this GH in the summer with the two layers of plastic and everything gets plenty of light.

Back