What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basement growing

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I want to start growing highlanders in the basement. Do you guys have any experience? I want to use a 20 gallon tank, a 20,000 K 24 inch light, an 18 inch (I think) soft white light, and a couple soft white PC energy saver bulbs. I also plan on putting it in front of a window. It's always cool in the basement and never freezes, so it seems like a perfect place to grow a few small highland nepenthes and maybe a couple small Heliamphora.

Comments, questions, suggestions? I'm completely new to growing highlanders.

well if it works for you them give me a PM! im looking forward to building a BIG tank from scratch with plexiglass over top that im putting 2 double bulb shoplights over top and put this whole thing into the coldest room in my house-my basement. so before i spend all the money do tell if it works for ya!.
Alex

EDIT. by big i mean like a 5 x 5 tank! this is going to be huge! i will have to have doors on the sides like a vivarium. that will make it much easier to move plants around and such.
Alex

I'll be going away to college in a year hopefully, so no use using a big tank just to tear it down agian lol.

my basement............hopefully going to redo about half of it this weekend

02b74590.jpg

That's awesome! Do you raise killis?

nope...............bunch of baby bettas in the fish tank that actually has water.............all other tanks have plants or frogs
smile_n_32.gif
making room this weekend for a couple more 10 gal orchid tanks and a 55 gal, Utric and orchid tank though im not sure how its going to be built yet.............havent figured out my plans yet..............also need more shelf space to seperate the baby bettas

i'm finding the basement to be a great place for my highlanders. everything is growing great.
Highlandhouse.jpg

Highlandhousea.jpg

Highlandhouseb.jpg

lowlanders aren't doing to bad either.
Lowlandhousel.jpg

Lowlandhousek.jpg

I'm thinking about buying a 50 gallon aquarium for about $109 with my B-day money, and I'm thinking about doing basically the same thing.

No way! You could get a 75 or 100 gallon for 100 bucks if you wait a while and read the papers everyweek.

For $100 you could build your own chamber easily, and probably get a good deal more space out of it. You should shop around before you drop a big wad of cash at the aquarium shop. It's nice getting new stuff but things from pet stores are almost universally overpriced. I get my terrariums from the guy who runs the place where I used to buy chinchilla chow when I lived back home - he gives used ones to me for free, and told me he usually throws them in the recycling if there's an excess, like when they get new holding tanks for the fish section, because it's a bother to clean the blackout paint and backing off. He usually has two or three handy every six months or so, usually 20- or 29-gallon tanks because they don't usually use anything bigger in the shop. You can get a 50-gallon tank for much cheaper than $100 if you look around - maybe try the classifieds on craigslist.
~Joe

Back