What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inside Bog

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
This weekend I am planning on going to Walmart and picking up things for my bog that I will house inside. I'm going to try to make it look really nice. I'm going to put them in a large c-through tupperware bin. I want to add pebbles to seperate plants from each other. I'm going to put in VFT's and some Purpurea's and some D.Capensis, D. intermedia. I don't know what kind of lighting I will need. I have two growlamps, but I don't know what kind of bulb I will need. They need to be the regular bulbs, not the long ones. Also if anyone has an idea on how I can make it better, please feel free to share!

Thanks!
-Niki-

or start growing them outside? i dont know where you live so i dont know what kind of winders you have. if you didnt alredy know, sarrs, VFTs and the D. intermedia all need a winter dormancy. put them in an unheated basement or your garage for the winte rif it is to harsh outside.
Alex

See that's the thing, I don't want to grow them outside. And I wasn't going to have them by a window, that's why I was asking what kind of lights I need, something with fake sun you know. I live in Florida so it's pretty hot. Will the plants still go dormant even if I keep giving it the propering lighting and heat?

well florida is where Sarrs and VFTs naturally live. heck you grow these things out doors year round. you could also grow other tropical CPs like Nepenthes, Tropical sundews, Bladderworts and even the dificult(to some...like me) Tuberous Sundews who go dormant in the hot summer and grow in the winter!.
Alex

Niki VFT and Sarrs will not do good inside all year. You can;t give them enough light and they need a winter dormancy. SO for your inside bog look for plants that do not require a dormancy and you will be better off.

IIRC sarracenia grow as far south as Lake Okeechabokie.. whatever it's called.

Lake Okeechobie

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Sep. 30 2006,11:13)]Niki VFT and Sarrs will not do good inside all year.  You can;t give them enough light and they need a winter dormancy.  SO for your inside bog look for plants that do not require a dormancy and you will be better off.
When does winter dormancy start?

It's a gradual process and for my area it started about a month ago.

Here are some pics of my new 'outdoor' bog
smile.gif
I know you guys mentioned that they will go dormant, but I only had these plants and they needed to be potted anyways
smile.gif
So what do you think?
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4200/bestbog005co9.jpg
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/7894/bestbog006fj6.jpg
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/632/bestbog007yj7.jpg
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1701/bestbog008yf5.jpg
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6784/bestbog009ii3.jpg

-Niki-

looks good but that small sundew(which is called D. spatulata) wont survive the winter. it is a tropical species.
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Sep. 30 2006,7:40)]looks good but that small sundew(which is called D. spatulata) wont survive the winter. it is a tropical species.
Alex
I thought you said non of them will survive the winter, now I'm confused.

He said if your winter is too harsh, they won't. It really depends where you live.

-Ben

Niki the sarrs and VFT you have will be fine outside. I do think you may need a little more peat in the bog thoguh if it rains they will get submurged. The dew probably should be potted. I don't know much about them. Your in Fla so the winters are not going to be too harsh. The VFT and sarrs will dye back to the ryzome and come back next spring. So don't be alarmed. I like the idea ov the vevisions with rocks, but I duno how long they will remail pretty once you get mosses and dews starting to grow everywhere.
smile_n_32.gif
The tropical dew would be suitable for your indoor bog if you wanted though.

Ok got it, thanks
smile.gif
I will repot the dew in it's own little pot.

Yay! the droseras getting its own pot, im excited!

Yeah, put the sarracenia and VFTs outside. They won't do good inside.

I have an indoor bog with various pings and some utrics. I just have it in a small tupperware container, sitting on a shelf, under 2 flourecent lamps. You said you need the screw in kind, so get the screw in flourescent bulbs. They are twisty, odd looking bulbs. They are perfect for neps and pings.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Sep. 30 2006,10:05)]well florida is where Sarrs and VFTs naturally live.
Flytraps are only natural in North Carolina, heard of colonies being introduced elsewhere but they're only naturally from NC..

yes, but I think that what he meant was that they basically live in the same environment that is present in Florida(THE BEST STATE EVER!!)

Back