What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lol! just bought this online

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

lol! just had to share the news.
For my terrarium I just bought this.

http://www.petdiscounters.com/product....&page=1

In total it is 18$ incl shipping.

I mean on the fluker site it is 12$ without shipping. I know for sure that in the petsmart in my town everything is overpriced so this will be around 20$ anyway.

lol! just find it funny that I bought this. I guess kinda inspired by this terrarium.

DSCF7263sm.jpg

anyone used this before?

cheers,

vraev

i use them. but i dont stick them on the walls.. when i need to know how hot/cold or how humid my terrarium gets i just place them in their... they are actually very nice...
Alex

Thanx for your feedback. I was wondering if it was sensitive enough for our CP terraria. ;)

The main reason I bought it is:

The drosera capensis..even though I kinda dont care much about it...has no dew + the red glandsare kinda BURNING out..so I guess it feels too hot in there.

I am pretty sure my humidity is like less than 20 or so. and I know this may be the cause.

I was also planning on a fogger considering they look great as well and that I could use a timer everyday to simulate morning dew.
smile.gif
However, I don't want VFT's to rot.

Do anyone here use foggers? and what would be their effect on VFT?

dont use foggers... capensis is like a cochroach and can take anyting...hot temps, cold temps, very low humidity, high humidity. it will make dew...just wait. nothing is really too big for a capensis to handle.
Alex

Lack of dew is sometimes due to low light, believe it or not.

right... and from what i remember your VFTs are quite eitolated(sp?) meaning they are pale-colorless, very long and gimpy like. i think you have just 1 Flourescent bulb on your terrarium am i correct? what you need is somthing like a double bulb light ballast...only about 20 bucks and you need 2 24' cool white flourescent bulbs...not that bad but it should give you enough light for the size terrarium you have. the ballasts are also very easy to hook up...i can even do it.
Alex

I use the electronic hygo/thermo from walmart. 10 bucks with digital reading and minimum maximum temp display
smile.gif

Thank you for the advice guys. yeah! I do kinda know about the low light thing. thats why I got a second lamp.

Now the VFT's are all colouring up. I didn't take any pics becos I have no camera. All my VFT traps are now kinda washed off red to dark red inside.

However, can someone please show me a pictorial comparision between a healthy VFT leaf and a etoliated leaf. Everyone uses that term.....I really don't know poop about plants
smile_n_32.gif
...except what I learnt broad knowledge from documentaries.

I know ppl say its low light when traps are smaller than leaves. My traps are bigger than the leaves. There is now colour in all my plants. Its not floppy...its sturdy and sticking up. the leaves are like a long heart.

can someone please make a small paint diagram to show what etoliated means? I would really appreciate it.
biggrin.gif

How exactly does a low light VFT leaf look like? I know some one earlier posted pics of drastically mishaped leaves of very long petioles and very small traps. But what is etoliated?

here is a basic sketch of 3 types of leaves i see in my plants.

untitledls0.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 18 2006,3:01)]I use the electronic hygo/thermo from walmart. 10 bucks with digital reading and minimum maximum temp display
smile.gif
dammit....see...I always go for "SHOW" and wow factor and waste money. Spent 24$ canadian in total for them both. Well......its done ...nothing much to do now. The stuff was only 9$...shipping was 10$+.
smile_h_32.gif
.But I went ahead and got it. Becos I know the same ones in local pj's petstore are more expensive if they even have them. darn...they sell a small sheet of moss for 9$ which is ridiculous.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Oct. 18 2006,2:18)]dont use foggers... capensis is like a cochroach and can take anyting...hot temps, cold temps, very low humidity, high humidity. it will make dew...just wait. nothing is really too big for a capensis to handle.
Alex
But just for the aesthetic factor though? I think a fogger makes the scene really good. Kinda like this::

someguy's amazing vivarium from google images.

mskahan031201l.jpg

I think it looks great. But does the excess humidity ROT VFT's???

If yes..I guess I'll stay away and get it when I get a better setup.

My main reason is I am planning on getting some rotondofolia and few pygmy sundews later. So they would love the humidity. capensis in my opinion is one of the ugly sundews
smile_n_32.gif
...but meh...as long as it is small...I'll let it be
smile_n_32.gif

Lol, you paid for for shipping that the product?

None of those plants need high humidity but they all need high light.

take a look at the plants in there...all very tropical. VFTs are temperate plants...big difference.
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 18 2006,8:25)]Lol, you paid for for shipping that the product?

None of those plants need high humidity but they all need high light.
yeah...well I also needed a temperature meter since after getting the new lamp...the sphagnum tips are burning even though tis all growing. So I spray themevery day. Its useful to have a small thermometer for the terrarium.

I just got the humidity thingy with it considering its only 2-3$ more. In either case shipping was 10$ since its coming from US.

darn...I wonder why I can't find this stuff in canada. Everything has to be in the US
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Oct. 18 2006,10:10)]take a look at the plants in there...all very tropical. VFTs are temperate plants...big difference.
Alex
I know what u mean...as i was saying though its not for right now ...but I was planning a model of a new terrarium with CP's at a higher level....some sundews near the bottom and some airplants all on drift wood and so on.

Wouldn't this be useful in that case?? But I do understand what u mean....I did hear that with excess water + high heat...VFT's ROT...which I need to avoid...so that scraps the fogger for now.

I really dont know why you are insisting in over spending money on youre plants and terrium's.

KISS metthod!
Keep
IT
Simple
Setup's

prevents lots of crap later, how do you plan on wintering them Putting them in low light for 3-4 hours a month?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vraev @ Oct. 18 2006,10:43)]darn...I wonder why I can't find this stuff in canada. Everything has to be in the US
smile_h_32.gif
Thats how we in the US feel about japan
smile_h_32.gif

putting it in low light is not much of a problem considering that I plan on moving the terrarium away from the window and just decreasing the light period to like 8 hrs. But that is for next yr as the 3 VFTs growing now need no dormancy as they are fresh off TC.

Those thermometr/hygrometers are cheap and don't last long. I've tried them. They didn't even last 3 months before they quit working. I now have a digital one that, so far, hasn't quit on me.

No dew and pale coloring on your sundews is going to be from lack of good light, not humidity. I took mine out of a terrarium long ago and put them outside, and I guess I should take a pic because they look great! Red coloring and lots of dew on every leaf. I couldn't get that in a terrarium.

Why do you have VFTs in a terrarium? Do you live somewhere where you can't put them outdoors? Do you give them a dormancy?

Yeah...the problem is that I cannot put them outside. I live in a university residence where I have a window facing the north or south side which is not direct sun. Hence that is a problem as well.

The terrarium is the only way to go.

I realised and regretted my choice of getting those meters. They are soo cheaply made. But there is no point returning it as the shipping was 10$ but they were only 8.99
smile_h_32.gif
...yeah lol! laugh all u want
smile_n_32.gif

I guess i have to go with till however long they go.
smile.gif

Those were only $8.95 at a local Petsmart.

I picked up some of these:

7.jpg

http://p3international.com/products/garden/P0250/P0250.html

They are really small at 2 1/2" x 1/2" x 1 5/8" so they can be put just about anywhere. They have a little fold out stand and come with a bit of double-side foam tape or magnetic tape too. Min/Max function. The ones I have are set for Fahrenheit, you cannot switch scales (the only drawback with them).

If you Google search for them you can find them for around $15 each.

Back