What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting ballasts

I failed to study up on ballasts before I bought them and got into the hobby of growing CPs. I lately found out that I have a "magnetic" ballast, which makes me wonder....

How much better are electronic ballasts? That's all I keep seeing. Supposively they are more efficient, and cooler. But where can you buy an electronic ballast cheaply? Home depot and Lowes sell them but they are > $10. Also it is apparent to me that it would be best to get a bigger ballast that can hold more tubes, then multiple ballasts. So where can you find these?

Also is it true that t5's have 4x the light intensity of t8's? I searched through froogle and can't seem to find a cheap t5 ballast either. I my as well get an LED setup for that price.
smile.gif

How 'bout your local Home Depot?

i actually just got a 2 light t5 lighting system and paid $100 for it and it came with lights. The lighting is amazing though expensive.

Magnetic ballasts suck.

Go to greybars, or someplacelight hellolights.com.

Mine come from marinedepot.com and sunlightsupply.com

Back