What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanting to build a bog garden. Ideas?

I am in the process of moving and finally have room to build some bog gardens
woot.gif
, possibly raised beds. I was wondering if anyone has some good ideas, plans, or suggestions on how to go about this
sign_help.gif
. I live in east TN, zone 6/7 and mainly grow Sarracenia. I would love some help. Any ideas?

.... and if you wanna try a low-tech approach, you can do the buckets 'o' mini-bog approach:

Strausplants0191.jpg

IMG_4215.jpg

IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg

Some people also use a kiddie pool and cut drainage holes in it.

Thanks Jim, your plants look great. I am kinda doing like you right now. I have most of my plants in 18" pots with trays under them which takes up A LOT of room
Oo.gif
. I like the idea of a raised bed bog but would like some kind of design that has worked well for others. B

Why raised? I mean do you want a rock wall or something?

A rock wall around it with succulents growing on it would be hella cool!

Stephen, your plants look great!! Your setup is amazing but I don't think that I am good enough to do something like you have, but really like it!!! I am thinking some raised bed bogs 'cause I like the way they look, more soil for more insulation in cold months (and it gets cold here sometimes), I can fit a lot of Sarrs in a bed with minimal space, and I won't have to bend over so far to weed and things like that. I am trying to maximize the number of plants in an area. I am still open to ideas.

I've got mine growing in a clawfoot tub. I collect water from the A/C unit in an inground pot with a sump pump in it. The water is pumped from that to a bucket suspended above bog level with a water spicket with a soaker hose attached. Works out great. The tub drains into a preformed liner that drains inro an inground bog with a flexable liner. I'm already thinking about another bog as I am running out of room.???

I've made mine with pondliner. Dug a hole about 0,90 meter deep, added 0,10 m clean (no sharps) sand and placed pondliner on it. To keep it level i used a woden rail ( 0,10 m high and 0,01 m thick) and i put some electrical pvcpipe (about 0,01 m in diameter) fileld with mos to keep it open trough teh liner just under the wood yo keep it from getting to wet. Then i filled in with finnpeat : clean sand 2: 1.

I've been growing most sarraceniaspecies, D. rotundifolia, intermedia, anglica, filiformis, binata and P. vulgaris and grandiflora very succesfully in it.

It is most of the time possible to walk on it (i have to, it's 25 square meters).

If you want raised beds, You can make boxes of wood any shape and hight you want en use the same liner and infill. Be carefull though, a raised bed dries out faster (wind e.a.)!

Marcel

Back