What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got the shelf :D

Lol were are you getting them?

Yeah, that's the one I use. I just got two 40w 6500k 3,050 lumen bulbs, which are twice as bright as the other ones, and also another fixture. So, I am going to have one 'normal' bulb and one 'bright' bulb in each fixture, to even out everything. Ima excited!
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif

Pics:

(Ignore the neglected D. capensis 'Red', it shall soon be red.
biggrin.gif
)
DSCN2501.jpg

Soon-to-be red plant
DSCN2503.jpg

Now I just need to find some huge trays!

-Ben

Oh, what should I do with Neps that are around 5" across? Should I put them on the shelf below this one? Maybe raise it up a bit?

-Ben

that sounds like it might work!
banana2.gif

Do you guys think I could spend about $120 and get a nice grow shelf like you guys? Then I would have room for something else live where I currently have my Nep's.

Maybe I could get like 3 for Nep's on a lower shelf... and 2 for the Top for things like Dews?
rock.gif
so the set up would be similar to yours Drosera36 with the bright bulbs.
smile.gif

The shelf I have is around 80 bucks or so, and I 'spose with two light fixtures, yeah, it would come to around 120 bucks. Maybe more like 140 bucks.
Oo.gif

Heh, here's another question, would it be better to replace the dimmer, normal bulbs with the brighter bulbs, or is it better to have more of a spectrum rather than more lumens? (3050 lumens x4 and 6500k as apposed to 2250 lumens x4 and 5000k, or 6500k and 5000k together.)

I just bought a 4' light fixture and only cost me $8.00 at walmart. And there made in the USA if that counts for anything. Nepenthes_ak the shelf is really worth the money, mine hasnt rusted yet and the shelves are made so you can hang stuff from them.

Oo.gif
Ah man, why didn't ya tell me earlier? lol, I spent more money than I needed to, now I'm broke. Lol.

-Ben

sweet im gonna get at least 5 or so lights at wally world!
smile.gif

sad.gif
cant find any on their website...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jayson16 @ Dec. 27 2006,9:36)]Nepenthes_ak the shelf is really worth the money, mine hasnt rusted yet and the shelves are made so you can hang stuff from them.
I get mine at sams club, for 80 or 100 bucks. There are a few versions of this shelf that all look the same. I get the ones that are 800lbs per shelf. There are other versions that are 600 and 400 lbs per shelf... (Any of those are strong enough for cps i'd say
wink.gif.gif
) Mine never rusted either... Untill they went in the g/h where the 1000psi fogging system sprayed water directly on them many many many times a day. So far it is just barely some surface rust though.
Andrew

People say they've had good luck with a mixture of 6500K and 4100K bulbs.  I think the difference is that 6500Ks give off a spectrum closer to solar output, but 4100K output has more useable light for plants.  Aynthing with a high CRI (Color Rendering Index) should work well.  If you're limited in light output, you can make up for it somewhat with longer photoperiods.  I'm having pretty good luck growing under 4 x 32W 6500K T8 fluorescents, with the plants about 18 inches below the lights, lights on 14 hours a day.  Search the web for some of these terms, and you should get decent results.  Hope this helps...

Oh, check this site.  Just imagine the plants you want to grow are photos. Also notice in the graphs toward the bottom how the 4100K bulb puts out less light over the whole spectrum, but much more in the red and blue bands, where plants are using the most light...
http://www.edbergphoto.com/pages/Tip-fluorescents.html

Thanks, that article is very informative.

I've got CRI's of 90 and 75, with the brighter bulb with the lower CRI. But I'm using 5000k, not 4100k. My dad says that 6500k is more closer to ultra violet, with the 5000k around sunlight level, maybe 500k off.

-Ben

crap.gif

bought 5 lights, They are all too big for the shelf I had, and then my mom said WTF do you need so many for!

She said my limit is 3 which isnt enough to do what I wanted, I gues the lights I have is all I can have, now I have to take EVERY thing back...
blush.gif

This sucks...

Im sorry to hear this. What exactly were you planning to do? lol and did you measure?

Jayson.

Yes I measured.... just not the right way... And I just miss read. Either way I would have had to take it all back even if it did fit.

So depressing.

OO well put it this way, you will have more money to spend on somthing else.

Stuff I cant get even then.
rock.gif
I wanna get more Spiders, still wouldn't be able to. I wanna raise feeders for the spiders, mom wont let me have roaches (as feeders), and Crickets stink and are noisy, and just costly. All I really want are plants, and Insects are out of season hear in Ohio, other than T's or something like that But Even then I don't have space. I would if I got the lights set up.

sad.gif
Ill figure something out I guess.

Well your lucky that your mom even let you have a pet spider, my mom wont even let me have a pet rat
sad.gif
. Any ways, cant you somehow buy the feeders without your mom knowing? Nvm im a bad person.

I have had two of these shelves for over two years now and they work great.  I found some awesome trays that fit perfectly on the shelves.  They are from gardeners.com.  Here is the link...Trays The large size is the one you need for the 48" shelves.  They are made from think plasticy rubber that will last you forever. For lights I just use the cheap cool white bulbs from Home Depot. The ones I use have green metal ends and they work great. I have been using them for two years with no problems.
Hope this helps
-Nick

Back