What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got the shelf :D

Yup, from the ICPS, sprouted around mid March. You can barely see a very small greenish one in the back behind the farthest back one; it's from an accidental root cutting when I pulled one out and some roots got left behind.

-Ben

Awsome. Was wondering what the temps are in your room with the shelf?

Heh, I have no idea, I really need to find out. It's sort of a coldish room, though. I leave the heating vent open in the day, and closed at night, but it's not really very warm in the day, either. With the vent thing, I'm trying to get a good dip in temps at night so I can grow some neps and I think some South African dews enjoy that.

-Ben

Yeah my growing room is the same way during the winter. It used to be an old sleeping porch with 6 windows and doesnt have any insolation in the walls, might have to do that somtime. But do you think the mid 60's is good for Neps at night?

Yeah, prolly. I suppose if the day time temps are in the mid 70's or so, so then the plants will notice a drop in temperature. But I'm not really an expert Nep grower, so I don't know.
biggrin.gif
But I did have some Neps in my tank, they were sort of 'intermediate' plants, so it was around 75-80 in the day, then maybe 70 at night.

-Ben

Ok that sounds about right. Thanks.

Jayson.

Hopefully my Neps will forgive me for making them stay in my bathroom with almost no light and forgetting to water them...But they seem ok, and I just repotted them.

DSCN2511.jpg

Heh heh....
DSCN2512.jpg

-Ben

Cool, what are the names of the neps? I would also think about getting a power strip for all those cords

Jayson.

N. x 'Judith Finn' on the right, and then N. fusca 'Sarawak' on the left. I just remembered that there are several still alive N. x ventratas at Home Depot. Think they'd do good on the shelf?

Power cord.... that's one of those white things with the row of plugs on it, right?

-Ben

You think there all the same neps at Home Depot? Because i bought one and i couldnt tell what kind it was. Yeah mine has been doing good on the shelf, and yes the white thing with all the plugins on it are power cords/power strips.

I have really no idea actually, but they sure look a whole heck of a lot like the neps in the pics. Lol, I'm spazzing like a small child in a candy shop right now; I can't wait to get that huge nep!

Er, about how long does it usually take on average for yours to make a pitcher from lil stub to opening up? Have any pics?

-Ben

Cool, there is nothing at my home depot
sad.gif
. Umm in my condition wich are mid 70's during the day and low 60's at night, it takes my neps about 1 and a half weeks from the stub to the top opening. Plz keep us updated

Jayson.

Wow, that's fast. My N. x 'Judith Finn' takes a month just to make one pitcher.
Oo.gif

I'll definitely keep you guys updated, more pics will most likely come tommorow. lol

-Ben

K, I got the plant. Other than the fact that it had bird crap on it and the pitchers were kinda drying up, it is healthy.

DSCN2513.jpg

Strangely enough, it seems this pitcher was made while the plant was in Home Depot:

DSCN2514.jpg

I'm now gonna cut this plant up, and then water it down good.

-Ben

Wow its huge! what kind is it? I would also lower the shelf and put the smaller ones on somthing to get them closer to the light.h

Yeah, I was thinking of that too, but now I've cut it down, and it seems to be mostly ok as it is. Unless, will it burn this close to the light?

The tag says Nepenthes 'Atlata' but of course, I'm VERY sure that it's N. x ventrata, since the species name isn't supposed to be capitalized or in quotes. Plus, it looks like N. x ventrata.

Here it is now:

DSCN2516.jpg

DSCN2517.jpg

-Ben

Yeah it seems fine now. I wouldnt worry about it burning, but keep an eye out just in case. If you start seeing redish brown spots on leaves i would move the shelf down a couple of inches. Other than that it looks great. Keep us updated

Jayson.

The only thing other than that though, is that it seems to be planted in pure peat, and when I tried to pull off the tray underneath it, I found that the tray was actually connected to the pot, and it has an open bottom. Should I worry about repotting it now? I'm guessing it should be ok, since it was growing in that stuff for a while.

-Ben

Yeah i wouldnt worry, if it has been growing in pure peat and doing well i would leave it till it out grows the pot its in and then repotting it

Jayson.

Uhmm for safety measures I would re pot it and check out how the root system is any ways.

Back