What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got the shelf :D

See this thread. You want the "Shelving by Design" brand.

No, it's 17" wide. It's 48" long.

Ninja......

-Ben

I was wondering how some P. primuliflora babies would do on this shelf? They've been getting the same amount as the P. 'Sethos' had been getting, but they are small, and a sorta shade-ish loving species. Can they handle 'full sun'?

Also, would they do ok in a 2-3 inch deep bonsai tray?

-Ben

Man.. reading this thread and that tutorial thread has majorly motivated me to build a plant shelf... now I just need to clean my room and go to Home Depot.

The one thing that I don't quite understand is how do you attach the lights to the shelves like that?

Pretty much I just shortened the chains that came with the lights to two links with a needle nose plier thing, then stuck 'em into the little slots in the fixtures.

DSCN2684.jpg

DSCN2685.jpg

-Ben

I guess i would only worry about them just Falling off by me bumping them.. unno.

Okay so that means when I buy my fixtures I gotta make sure they've got chains with em. Got it! Thanks for those pics, sometimes seeing something is easier to understand than it being explained.

How big is the box that the shelving came in? (I asked in the pinned forum but it's hard to notice since it doesn't move.)

The reason I'm asking is because my car is small, and I'm assuming that shelving that is slightly taller than myself is not going to fit in it.

I like to be prepared.

BTW, sorry for the double post, I absolutely HATE doing that.

I just bought one of these shelves. It's a great investment.
the box is only a couple of inches bigger then the shelf lenth. 42-43 inches. it should fit in you're backseat.
you have to put it together, so the box is smaller then you would think.
peace,
zero

Hmmm... yeah that does sound like it would fit in my car. That's good, though.

Thanks!

K, time for another update thingy.

P. 'Huahuapan'
DSCN2719.jpg

Trying to grow some moss
DSCN2720.jpg

Thanks Joseph

(P. 'Red 1')
DSCN2721.jpg

(P. potosiensis)
DSCN2722.jpg

My crazy D. binata
DSCN2723.jpg

A bad pic of two D. capensis 'Alba' that I rescued
DSCN2726.jpg

D. capensis 'Giant'
DSCN2727.jpg

D. admirabilis again
dscn2728.jpg

P. moranensis 'D'; will it ever recover from light damage?
DSCN2729.jpg

P. 'Sethos'
DSCN2730.jpg

-Ben

D. tokaiensis
DSCN2732.jpg

N. fusca 'Sarawak' basal shoot; the only nep that seems to be doing well
DSCN2733.jpg

And P. 'Huahuapan' leaf cutting
DSCN2734.jpg

DSCN2738.jpg

-Ben

What is in the fish bowl?:poke: huh?

Wow, Ben. Your plants are looking great. I am always amazed at the growth of your D. binata! It grows by leaps and bounds each week!

Beautiful P. 'sethos'. Let me know if you ever propogate that bad boy! I am a sucker for pink ping pictures.

What seems to be the problem with your neps? Just not adjusting from the bathroom environment? They'll come around eventually.

xvart.

What is in the fish bowl?:poke: huh?

U. gibba.

xvart, yeah I dunno, the N. x ventrata seems to be not making pitchers very well, at least they seem to be drying or something. The N. 'Judith Finn' just seems a little burnt, but otherwise ok. The N. fusca 'Sarawak' though is growing really well. I think it's mostly a humidity problem, at least maybe for the N. x ventrata.

Lol, I'm sorta afraid to damage such nice leaves and make cuttings. If they were nasty, I'd make tons. lol

-Ben

I think it's mostly a humidity problem...

What is the humidity around your shelf? Do you have a way to measure?

Lol, I'm sorta afraid to damage such nice leaves and make cuttings. If they were nasty, I'd make tons. lol

LOL. I'm going to break into your house and damage a couple leaves, then! You better watch out!

Good stuff, Ben.

xvart.

Lol. I just should let you know that I have signs in front of out house saying that our house is protected, so just watch out. cept that we don't have protection, just signs...

Humidity is usually really low, like 30% I think, occasionally around 40%-50%. At night it's higher, usually 60%.

-Ben

cept that we don't have protection, just signs...

lol. I'm sure your parents would love to see that posted on the internet! I guess I'll just have to wait for the leaves to naturally decay...

xvart.

Have any close ups of the U. gibba?

STAY AWAY!!!

DSCN2740.jpg

Nope, not currently.

-Ben

Back