What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Peat

When making my classic terrerium today, I used several old half-used bags of peat to make my peat/sand mix. The bags of peat had been open for long time and the peat itself was compacted into chunks. It loosened up when I mixed it with wet sand, though. I also noticed that it had a sour smell to it ike the way peat usually smells, but stronger. Is it okayto use peat that has been sitting around for several years? It has been kept dry, but looked "stale". Should I remove the plants in my terrerium?

When in doubt, rinse.

When reall in doubt, sterilize in the microwave or pressure cooker (autoclave.)

Keep in mind that peat is an organic substance, so as time goes it's subject to alteration. A good rinse, a sterilization, and a bit of horticultural charcoal should do it good.

However, I've never tried to deal with very old peat. Worst case scenario, you now have some good organic matter to add to your garden.

One thing to keep in mind about most CP's is that they require as little nutrients as possible in their media and that texture & water retention / drainage properties that are the most important. As Est suggested, always rinse your media well.

I never thought peat smelled sour. I dunno I like it
smile.gif

Peat's cheap. Just go buy a new bale of it and then you don't have to worry.

%@*# I just planted the terrerium a few days ago!
There are only a couple plants in there, though. I am getting the bulk of my terreium plants in a few weeks. If anything goes downhill for an unknown reason, I'll change up the media.
Thanks!

Back