What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

balancing circulation with humidity.

i just got a fan for my terrarium, which has been long overdue.

i've been keeping my terrarium totally sealed to keep the humidity in (i like to keep it over 80%).

does a fan need an open terrarium to serve its purpose to the plants, or does just circulating the air in the terrarium do the trick?

if it does need outside air, how will i keep the humidity high inside the terrarium?

Fans can largely serve two purposes: to circulate the air in the terrarium or reduce the heat.

A fan in an enclosed terrarium will circulate air but will not reduce temperatures.

A fan outside the terrarium blowing air across a light ballast will (possibly) reduce the temperature in the terrarium.

All depends on what you mean by "serve its purpose to the plants." If the former then, yes, your fan is, but not if the latter.

Ditto what Ken says. I'm just curious as to why you wish to maintain such a high humidity. Most CP's don't require that much humidity and a sealed environment is a setup for potential problems. Not that I am going to suggest a pot in a dish of water, but in theory, the open tray method provides pretty much what most CP's need, with respect for "local" humidity. If I had to err on one side or the other, I'd do so on the side of having more air circulation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ditto what Ken says. I'm just curious as to why you wish to maintain such a high humidity. Most CP's don't require that much humidity and a sealed environment is a setup for potential problems. Not that I am going to suggest a pot in a dish of water, but in theory, the open tray method provides pretty much what most CP's need, with respect for "local" humidity. If I had to err on one side or the other, I'd do so on the side of having more air circulation.

Now I have to agree with what Jim said! Almost all of my CPs have done much better on grow racks (open tray) than in a terrarium. The exception is N.ampullaria.

I like terrariums 'cause they're pretty
smile.gif

Back