What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

galvanised wire staging causes zinc poisoning?

Well my first post on terraforums...nice to be here

Now I know that nepenthes are absolutely allergic to zinc and that it can kill them very easily...But...I have a roll of galvanised wire lying in the shed looking for a use, And I have a new nepenthes greenhouse looking for benches.
Can I construct benches with this wire as the tabletop? The pots would sit atop the wire with the plants only seperated from the wire by their pots.
BTW Ill be using those orchid pots full of holes for the plants!

cheers nic

Welcome!

I'm having difficulty picturing what you are talking about. You mean like chickenwire? Like making a bench and making the top part out of zinc chickenwire?

Nice choice on pots!

Might work, might not. If you have a large collection I wouldn't risk it.

Gday JLAP
The wire Im talking about is that typical square stuff..not chicken wire but it is effectively the same thing!
It would be like making a bench with the tabletop being made of wire rather than timber. The wire isnt made of zinc, but zinc is the main metal in the stuff they put on it to galvanise it!
Its just Im thinking that since the pots will sit on/above it the plants shouldnt get poisoned...unless they overgrow their pots and roots come out the bottom.

If any media sticks out of the holes and touches the metal it can act as a wick.

I think I know the stuff you're talking about. It's normally used to screen off vent holes in attics and foundations and as reinforcement for poured concrete - 1/4 inch mesh.

You should be able to find a heavy quarter inch mesh in fiberglass or resin. Bird screening material for gardens comes to mind as one possible source.

Back