What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

centipedes... wtf

• Thread starter Meaven
  • Start date
centipedes living in the LFS of one of my neps. i have nooooo idea how they got there but i count at least 4. sadly i admit they terrify me. is it OK to just leave the little demons be? will they hurt the roots? or do they need to be destroyed....

Are they centipedes or millipedes? Centipedes have a slightly flattened body with only one pair of legs per segment and usually prominent antennae. Millipedes have rounded, tubular bodies with two pairs of legs per segment.

Centipedes are carnivores and eat insects or other tiny pests. They are venomous but the bite while painful is not dangerous unless you are allergic to the venom.

Millipedes eat decaying plant matter, but they also munch on seedlings and can cause severe damage. Most likely you have millipedes.

Dispatch them and feed 'em to your plants.

Meaven...
Regardless of whether they hurt the plants or not kill them and feed them to the plants! With four of them already you know there will soon be more, and since they unnerve you, you should kill them while you can! Before they build up numbers!
Do it now!

A woman I work with used to live in Malaysia and she talkes about how they would have 1.5 foot long centipedes crawling on the ceiling of her residence; even better was if you kill a centipede you get cursed by the spirits over there, so the local police would not dispatch the creatures! Ugh.

xvart.

Uhhh... I don't like anything with more than 4 legs. eek. Just creeps me out...

Except for lady bugs and butterflies and mantids.

Centipedes are way cool! I'd keep em in a tank or sumethin...

Yea get them in a tank or send them to me :-D But I suggest you send them to me.

Back