What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acceptable Lighting?

Hi everyone. I've been reading alot on this site and i have to say i'm very impressed on the amount of imformation available. I just ordered a couple of vfts on petflytrap.com and eagerly awaiting the delivery. Until then, i'm preparing a nice terrarium for them and need to know if this light is acceptable or not.

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_Nav_259_sku_796050_R_1531_enemerch_1.aspx?cm_re=259-_-TopSellers2-_-796050

My real concern is that it will emit too much heat....

It's rated 150 watts- more then the recommended 80

i'm going to petco in a little so yea....

Is it possible that they also sell Peat/moss there too?

likely not peat moss, but lights are to be watched because of the heat factor. Give it a try, but there is a LOT about lighting indoors that can be found here. If I were you, I would seek out this information here before making a suggestion.

I'm fairly new to cps my own self, but I'd say that looks good if it's a pretty small terrarium and you plan on using a compact fluorescent bulb. I'd advise against incandescent bulbs, as they tend to cook plants. I know there are a number of threads concerning the topic of which compact fluorescents are best on this forum; just do a search.

If you're going to put Compact Fluorecent lights in those fixtures I don't see it as a problem.

Pet shops some times sell decorative mosses and other plants for terrariums but unless you know exactly what you are buying I'd avoid anything that may be labeled Sphagnum.

You're best bet is an orchid nursery and supply.

You can find peat and sphagnum moss at garden centers and nurseries, but make sure there is no fertilizer added and that it is Sphagnum.

Welcome to the forum. That light will produce a lot of heat which could easily damage your vft. I would not use it. Where do you live? You might be able to grow it outside with much better results. If you must grow it inside I would recommend some sort of flourescent lights.

xvart.

Thanks. I know that flourescent bulbs are better as they emit practically no heat at all. As for the terrarium, its going to be a 5 gallon glass tank so it should suffice correct?

Some cheapo aluminum clamp-ons that you can get at a hardwares store might be cheaper. The fixtures you showed are probably designed to reflect more of the heat than a cheap aluminum ones would. But it probably won't be that much of a problem, just make sure the clamps and joints are strong enough to support the extra weight of the CF lamps and that you leave enough of a gap on your cover to allow air circulation.

I might just try to make it to Home Depot before it closes. That way i can get the substrate that i need as well as the light fixture. I'm sure they sell compact fluorescent bulbs there too.

I have one, but try to get the 75 watt as it is smaller and produces less heat.

Your windowsill might have better lighting than this reflect/light combo.

Why not just grow it outside? They are not indoor plants. I tried to grow one in a 10gallon and I almost killed. After yelled at by Bugweed I put it outside and then the chipmonk killed it. Just wait until I get that chipmonk. It's going to my snake when I do.

Nooo chipmunks are adorable!

*UPDATE*​

Ok, so i made it to HD last night and found a cheap light fixture- about $6 and also found a compact flourescent bulb (soft white) for it- about $5. It usage is 23 watts=100 incandescent watts with an output of 1600 lumens. I tried looking for some peat moss or perlite but couldn't seem to find any in the outdoor gardening section (too cold to take a good real look), no worries though. I will just leave my vft in the original pot.

One thing that confused me though: there were 3 different types of the same bulb that i bought- soft white, strong, and sun. I percieved that the strong and sun type bulbs would produce a better output of light, but on the packaging it says that the lumens are less then the soft white type. Its also more expensive. Why's this? They were all the same wattage.

Look for the daylight. Or if it doesn't say that, just look for something around 6500K or similar.

The higher the Kelvin, the more blue (this does not mean it will look blue) and the lower the less blue and more red/yellow (this DOES mean it will look yellow and ugly)

The nicer a light is the more you'll pay for it :) A crisp white is prettier than a dull yellow. Sounds to me like the "sun" is what you probably want, given the info you've presented.

That is what I have. I am using 75 watt with a 20 watt flourescent light. Be careful not to put directly on your plants or you will cook them.:down: I almost steamed my ceph.

Do you mean you are overdriving them? It would be more efficient to just buy a 75 watt CF (not the equivalent) and use it in your 75 watt socket. Just lift it up a little to increase air circulation.

Back