What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Methinks someone started a trend.

I got a grow shelf (finally). I got some pics... crappy ones but yeah they're pics. I'm looking for any constructive criticism or tips and things I should change.

I have another fixture and lights but I just didn't set it up yet because...well I don't quite need it yet. I'm actually planning to adding another fixture to each shelf eventually once I run out of room, but for now this should be okay.

When I do add more light fixtures.. I am NOT using those stupid chains that come with the fixtures because they are evil and a major pain to to work with. I'm going to switch to zip ties ASAP. >_>

Aaaanywhooo... here's pictures.

Shelf1.jpg

Top Shelf
Originals.jpg

On the top.. right to left.. Resurrection Plant, U. livida, U. lateriflora, and nep seeds.
On the bottom... right to left.. Unknown Tillandisa (Spanish Moss?), sphagnum from Lois (thanks again!), and baby N. sanguinea 'orange pitchers'.

Bottom Shelf
secondshelf.jpg

N. ventricosa 'red pitchers'
N. sanguinea 'orange pitchers'
Spanish Peanut plant :p

My neps are on the bottom second shelf where the light shines down from the shelf above it, they seem to be okay with it but if it's a bad idea then just say so and I'll add the second fixture immediately.

So far the only change I've noticed between my old setup and the new one is my U. livia is sending up a flower stalk (again).

Sooo.. yeah that's my shelf.

Nice! I should set one up soon too so as to have some place to germinate all the seeds I'm stratifying.

Is that live Sphagnum in the bag? Get yourself a food container or plastic shoebox add a layer of wet peat and spread the Sphagnum out on that and let it grow!

Haha, yeah it is live sphagnum I'm procrastinating right now, I have to go to the store and get some tupperware and I'm sick of driving. It's actually starting to grow again in the bag. xD

I think I'll go to dollar tree tomorrow and get some tupperware.

Btw, make sure if you build one of these that you have a lot of space to put it together.. because my room is small and kinda cluttered so it was HELL putting that thing together.. it's got a lot of big(long) pieces. But really it was simple to build.. didn't need any screws or anything like that.. I just needed more room.

I got a little food storage box from the 99 cent / Dollar store. Holds water just as well as something costing 2 to 4 times as much :D

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably have to get the smaller shelves as I don't have enough free wall space for the bigger ones unless I put it in the bedroom. The lights would keep me awake though. I'm short on assembly space too. I guess there's always the garage but I'd need help carrying it up the stairs.

Looking good Chrono,

I do think I would add the second fixture, distance will have a dramatic effect.... even just a few inches

y'all making my basement set up look pretty crappy, ugh....

;)
Av

y'all making my basement set up look pretty crappy, ugh....

lol. And making my cement shelf above my closet look even crappier...

xvart.

Hey, great start Chrono! I started like you and kept adding. I got plastic sheeting from the hardware store in a big roll and formed it around the shelf for humidity (like a giftwrap with the front cut for access). Then I added some mylar inside the sheeting last year to increase the lighting.
Those shelves are great because you can adjust the height as your needs change.

You got a good thing going!

Steve

CP30, I was going to just get a clear shower curtain to keep the humidity in. :D

Av8tor1, I'll get to work on that second set of lights then.

Not a Number, my lights are on an appliance timer so they're not on at night. If they're on when I go to bed.. yeah it makes it a little hard to sleep but it's not really a problem for me unless I pull an alnighter.

Drosera36, it wasn't me.

Back