What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intresting mini-bog idea

attachment.php
Ok, i was bringing the recylables down to the rescycle bins last night when i noticed something intresting among the cans. It was one of those country crock mashed potatos bowl's that i had for dinner the other night and i thought to myself "wow that looks like it would be a good mini-bog" so i garbbed it, cleaned it out as best i could and took a pic ( see link) all i would have to do is put a small hole in the bottom for slow drainage and plants! lol, what do you think? it would look good on a well-lit coffee table.

Sure, why not? If it is sturdy enough to hold the weight of your CP mix and water and appeals to you no reason not to use it. People have used toilet bowls as planters.

You don't even have to poke a hole in it if it is big enough, but might be a good idea if you use a recirculating system or put it in a larger bowl for a giant tray system. The advantage of draining it is clearing out any mineral accumulation and oxygenating the roots.

My mom loves those things but they're kinda small to be a bog?

well isn't the setup for all of your Cps a Little minibog? (wow double negative)

no, not width wise, there kinda shallow but Cp's have shallow root systems, plus its not like im going to plant anything huge in it like a sarr.

I think it is a good idea but I think you need to find a clear dome for it or something comparable. you could even plant down inside of it and have a cover and look down into it!! Keeping in a house would mean dealing with the humidity. be great for drosera.

ya, i can find another recycleable thing for the dome.

Back