What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remodeling my terrarium - Need some advice!

I'm moving a lot of my plants around within my collection. Some of my bigger Nepenthes are being moved to an east-facing windowsill and my Drosera are all going into the same 20 gallon long with some extra lighting. These aren't my main concerns though.

I have another 20 gallon long that houses most of my smaller Nepenthes and I'd say most of them haven't taken too well to my lower humidity. I don't have a top on the tank, just a four foot lighting fixture, so the humidity usually hangs around 20% (min) to 40% (max). I'm thinking that an increase in humidity might encourage them to perk up and start producing healthy leaves and pitchers.

What's the best way to increase humidity? Obviously I'd need a glass top cut to fit my tank. Would they do that at Home Depot? Would they sand down the edges for me?

If I'm going to go with a mostly sealed tank I'd probably need a small computer fan to keep the air moving inside. Where's the best place to buy these? Are they hard to rig up?

I would absolutely love if any of the users here who keep setups like the one I'm trying to put together could post some pictures and some insight on how they got it all up and running and how well it works for them and their Nepenthes.

Thanks guys!

-Mitch

Acrylic works great for me. God mine at HD. It's not really THAT sharp. They have many pre-cut sizes.

Since it's a small tank, I'd just leave an airgap and forget about the fan.

You want me to take pics of mine to show you? I don't have a computer fan, but I do have a little pink fan from wal-mart :)

You want me to take pics of mine to show you? I don't have a computer fan, but I do have a little pink fan from wal-mart :)

lol. How cute!

xvart.

Acrylic works great for me. God mine at HD. It's not really THAT sharp. They have many pre-cut sizes.

Since it's a small tank, I'd just leave an airgap and forget about the fan.

That would be GREAT if you could take pictures :)

Sure, i'll do it later tonight :)

DSC01303.jpg

Here are pics of my open-terrarium where I put everything that doesn't like the high light in the other one. It's only a couple of weeks old so it sucks right now :)

DSC01298.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

DSC01297.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

WOW! After seeing these the pics look dark! Not so in person, trust me.

I need to stop giving stuff away lol. It's too empty.

Is that a P. 'florian' in the second to last picture? That is one ping that I want to get my hands on. JLAP, how do you water the tank full of dews and pings? Just dump a bunch of water in it like a bog garden?

xvart.

No, I think it's a P. ehlersiae. I don't have any labels on anything lol. I have P. ehlersiae, P. gigantea, P. agnata, P. 'Titan", P. 'aphrodite'.. and some others in there lol

On the bottom of the tank is pleated micron material from an old filter lol.

It looks like this :

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And that wicks water up and keeps the LFS moist. I just dump a little water in there every now and then. The tube in the back-left is in case I need to drain it.

wow, that has got to be the most beatiful tank full of pings and drosera i have seen in about 2-3 years! im seriuous absoulutely beatiful, its resfreshing to see someone that doesent have their Cps lined up in pots in the terranium for once, i like that nice, natural look. The top of my recently constructed terranium is acrlic also, but i had to do the cutting myself due to the odd tank dimesions; i also drilled two hole on either end of the top and put screws with bolts and washers in it so i can have a handy pick up tool when i need to get in there.

Lol, well thanks! Lol, I only put it together in about 20 minutes lol. I thought it was kind of ugly lol, considering everything in there is juvenile and since the tank is so new the D. adelae is half dead lmao. Hopefully soon you won't be able to see the LFS, just a carpet of utricularia.

It's lit by a single 65 watt 10,000K PC. I'm surprised that the stuff in there is doing so well with such little light compared to what I'm used to using.

Xvart, If you want I can send it to you. I've yet to send out your 5 bucks (I know, i'm lazy!) So if you'd rather have that ping it's fine with me. Lemme know.

This afternoon I covered the front of both with foil ??? I scraped off the black paint on the sides and back of the small one and covered it with foil, too lol

Doesn't have to be pretty to be effective lol

Back