What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Misting System

I've decided to install a misting system into the greenhouse. Any thoughts or advice? I'd prefer a kit of sorts rather than doing it all from scratch. Thanks.

Manny

I wouldn't mind an answer either, except in terrarium form.

For a greenhouse, there are kits you can buy at Lowe's/Home Depot/etc that are about $100 a piece and are expandable. You can put them on a timer and since you build it yourself, i think you can get any config you want. Their in a different section than the greenhouse stuff though...I think they're marketed as a mister for your patio during the summer, but it does the same exact thing.

for a terrarium, if you have those clear vinyl portable greenhouses, open it up and just spray in there every few hours. The RH doesn't drop much over the course of a few hrs if you dont open it up. Another thing you can do is drop an aquarium heater into a bowl of water. I'd used distilled though since water + electricity makes me nervous, and distilled water won't conduct electricity

Waaaat? Are you sure? That's really weird.:hail:

Manny- are you planning on running pure water? Are you worried of stuff getting wet? If you use one of those "misters" that run on tap pressure, they water drops will be bigger.... And stuff will get wet if you run it for any period of time. That would work if you're wanting to use the misters for overhead watering. On the other hand, I've heard of these misters being used under table tops with tap water, using tap water. That would be to raise humidity...
When I decided to install a system in my g/h I went with a 1000 PSI fogging system. At first, i was running almost 40 fogger heads (.15 orfice) and it was WAAAAY over kill. Check this out: video of my fogger in action The system has gone through a lot of changes since then. It now only runs 6 fogger heads (.08 orfice) and I have anti drip adapters added. Which means it only sprays at higher pressures so you don't get the low pressure spray at the start or end of the fogging session. Right now my system runs on a system timmer. Durring the day it runs about 40 seconds every 10 mins. At night it runs about 20 seconds every 2 hours. (even a run time of 1.5 mins stuff doesn't get barely wet) I can get a updated video of it if you're interested in seeing it. The good thing is, I can run plenty of fogger heads to run a much larger g/h or even just tap in and run another g/h nearby.
I hope that helps :)
Andrew

adnedarn,

purely out of curiosity... do you use an accumulator or does your pump kick on with every mist cycle?

Cheers'
Av

Whenever the timer sends the signal for a fog session, the pump runs. I have a RO system in the g/h that has 2 bladder tanks (storing about 20 gals of ro water at 65 PSI) 1 output line goes to a 16ft long hose with a faucet on the end for watering and such, another goes directly to the fogger pump to supply the water.

I was curious about the possible use of a high pressure side accumulator

thx,
Av

lol adnedarn...the moment I saw that mist building up...the only thing I was thinking of is .... "Now the next scene should be the guy squatting down there walking out through the fog in a batman suit."....and lol! I think it was u who walked through ;) :p

Thanks guys.

Adnedarn...your info was very helpful. You brought up stuff I hadn't thought about. I will be using tap water. I don't want stuff to be soaked, I just want to raise the humidity (it's already naturally high...but this will help in winter). I've noticed that my Nepenthes are tolerant of my tap water, but i still don't want the misting system to soak the soil. I could possibly run the tubes on the ground under the tables, but it would be easier to do it from the wooden beams overhead. I will need to get anti-drip adaptors. I assume these are readily available. Next to the misting kits?

Back