What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water pump

• Thread starter fiziks
  • Start date
I'm wondering if someone could help me. I've been to some pet shop stores and home/hardware stores looking for a water pump. I'm looking for a small water pump, preferably adjustable, non-submersible, and relatively inexpensive.

I have a dual purpose for this. First, I'd like to use it to keep a constant drip going on my CPs.

The other reason, is to use for a physics experiment for my class. I need to be able to run a tube for water intake and another tube for water output.

Does anyone know where I can find such a pump? Most of the small, adjustable pumps are the submersible types and those types really won't work for what I need it for.

Thanks,
Dwight

Oh so you do NOT want a pump that must be submersible? And I was about to suggest maxijet, too :(

Eheim 10...84 or something like that lol. Marine depot for 68 bucks.

How about a fountain pump from a garden supply store? Not all of them are submersible. Isn't that what Bugweed uses for his recirculating bogs?

looking for something of the industrial/ag flavor for your experiment?

if so...

positive displacement or dynamic?
gpm?
what kind of head pressure do you need?

Av

edit: have a look at grainger.com (IIRC)... they are expensive, but you can get an ideal of what you are looking for then find another less expensive vendor

Last edited:
Not only do I want the pump for the CPs, but one of the science experiments/demos I had in mind was to create a "perpetual" water vortex. I already have the 2 - two liter bottles that are connected together at their openings. One of the 2 liter bottles is filled with water. When you flip it upside down and give it a slight swirl, the water drains down and produces a vortex. When the water drains it, you have to flip the whole thing over again. What I am thinking is punching a small hole in both 2 liter bottles. After flipping the bottles and while the water is draining out, turn on the pump. The pump should be able to pump the water from the bottom bottle to the top bottle. If the pumping speed is adjusted just right, the vortex should be able to "perpetuate" itself. I also have a few other similar things that could be "perpetuated" by the use of a small water pump.

Thanks.

You may have a hard time finding an economy model that does both very well, for misting I would think you need pressure vs. flow (or both depending on size of system), and for your vortex I would think all you really need is flow without much regard to pressure

IMHO, I think i would use the 12$ dynamic drill pump for the vortex (super easy to vary the drill speed depending on vortex demands), and then dedicate a more appropriate pump for the misting system... then you can still always use the econo drill pump for liquid transfer/trash pump use

good luck, and post your vortex results when you get it built

Cheers'
Av

edit: waiting on someone to say pumps dont create pressure, only flow and it is the resistance to flow that creates pressure LOL

Last edited:
Back