What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about setup/plants

We aren't supposed to talk about suppliers.

All I can say is that if you want home depot will have big ones for like 15 bucks :) . They are common and grow fast so you never know someone who sees this might just give you a cutting.

Ok, thanks for telling me that or I might have posted it everywhere or something. Probably not though.

Why not start with some tough plants, Drosera capensis comes to mind. Maybe a couple of the cube of death's. I personally can't get the terrariums to work for me. Space and lighting are inconducive for their use. A 4' shoplight and a plastic under-the-bed box will do wonders for you. Practice and try different things till you find what will work for your space and budget.

I might try those too. My experience with N. Ventricosa (I'm 90% sure that's what I had twice) was that it could be left in the most dry, cold, lightless place and live. For example, I put it in the bathroom for a month or two, because I thought it would be humid there, and it started growing more leaves even with almost no sunlight. The rest of the time they grew in the windowsill and randomly died all at once.

I have one more question; how long does it normally take VFTs to bloom? Mine has been looking like it is about to for more than 3 days now, and hasn't really made much progress as far as opening.

Never mind, I feel like such an idiot. I cut off the other one that it sent up not realising that you need both of them to produce seed.:censor: :rant: I guess I may as well let it bloom, would it really be wasting that much effort? Or maybe I just read something too fast.

WOOHOOO. My plant is finally listed as SHIPPED instead of the annoying PENDING.
:D :D :D :D

Woohoo, I just got a sarrecania and two drosera. How do you stop the moss from taking over? Just rip it out or something?

I grow most all of my plants under 4' shop lights that I got at home depot. They were like 15 bucks or something like that. I actually have 4 lights. All of my plants are doing fine. This is definately the best bang for your buck.

Never mind, I feel like such an idiot. I cut off the other one that it sent up not realising that you need both of them to produce seed.:censor: :rant: I guess I may as well let it bloom, would it really be wasting that much effort? Or maybe I just read something too fast.
I don't think it needs two flowers to polinate. Also, I would consider cutting the other flower stalk off of your venus fly trap, since it consumes a lot of energy and if you are concerned about not giving it enough light yet then it will be looking for more energy to keep living.

Woohoo, I just got a sarrecania and two drosera. How do you stop the moss from taking over? Just rip it out or something?
What moss are you talking about? I wouldn't worry about the sarrs, they will do fine with the moss if it is LFS. Depending on the size of the drosera, you should be fine. If they are really small the moss might overtake it, but I doubt it.

xvart.

Oh, it might have been for Nepenthes but I read something where there was a "male" flower and a "female" flower. The other flower stalk is about 8 inches tall but the tips of the flowers are turning brown. I'm guessing that's bad.
For the moss, I will get a picture but I think it is sphagnum. There is also some thicker kind in one of the drosera's pots.
One more question: How do you stop those pots they come in from leaking all the water out of the sarracenia? I tried saran wrap but that didn't work too well.

Neps have male and female flowers. Venus fly traps do not. For your information, each nep is either male or female and will not produce both a male flower and a female flower. I believe it is female flowers that are more rare (maybe 3:1).

As for the water leaking out of your pot: plants like sarrs, sundews, and vft's like water. Most people who grow them in pots have a tray or a bowl underneath these plants and fill the bowl with water which allows the plant to sit with the bottom in the water. This allows the soil to be constantly damp (like in their native bogs). Then they just fill this bowl when it starts to get low or go dry.

xvart.

edit: forgot to mention that the plants seem to enjoy being water from the top as well sometimes to circulate oxygen in the soil.

Oh, I meant to keep it flooded. Bugweed said that he keeps his in a constant bath of water.

2 Questions: 1) What non-carnivorous plants can you put in a terrarium with CPs?

2) What pets can you put in there with them. I was considering either a praying mantis or dart frogs. I know people have done dart frogs but that seems kind of hard, so I just wanted to know if anybody else has had or has mantids in their tanks with CPs.

Back