What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IDEA for Snow?

VFT

Grad schooler
You think since i have an overabundance of snow outside, i could take that snow melt it and use it for my plants to water them?

Sure it's fine.

Don't use the yellow snow.

i used snow this year to insulate my plants and prevent drying out for freezing wind.
Alex

I used snow to build an igloo.

I would only use snow that has only recently fallen or snow that is collected from an isolated location such as the middle of your yard, a field, etc. Don't use snow from near a roadway/walkway/etc. Salt will be present in that snow and that would be deadly to water your plants with.

thanks for all the feedback ya all rule

ps. dont eat the yellow snow also

s-sno? sna ow? What is this strange substance you speak of?

I was collecting the freshly fallen snow and letting it thaw out for my plants last winter. Didn't have any discernible repercussions. ...and I did take Mr. Zappa's advice!

The only problem is that you barely get any even if you fill up a five gallon bucket and pack it down hard. I filled a cup up with snow and it gave me about 4 tablespoons full. Ripoff!

The only problem is that you barely get any even if you fill up a five gallon bucket and pack it down hard. I filled a cup up with snow and it gave me about 4 tablespoons full. Ripoff!

That is because of the water content of the snow. It can vary from 1:5 all the way to 1:30 in some areas. This means that 10 inches of snow is roughly equivalent to about 1 inch of water.

yeah! that is the issue. I started collecting snow in a cup....pakced it as much as I can...got one spoon of water. I just gave up and went back to getting 6 liters of RO water for 1.5 $.

I live near Buffalo.... not a problem filling buckets with snow!

I think it was Wild Bill who had the awesome idea of taking one of those giant coolers with the spigot on the bottom and shoveling snow into it. Then, once the snow melts, you can use the spigot to fill up jugs to use later.

I'm sorry for being off topic... I have only seen snow once in my life. So... what is yellow snow?

it's snow that has been urinated on.

Ah... makes sense now.

Snow cone anyone? :D

I like Emily's rendering.... communicates and can be said to a 4 year old!

Back