What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm sad :( My bog garden experiment failed.

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
You guys remember how I planted everything at the edge of our lake? Well everything did GREAT but when I came up yesterday I saw that ALL my VFT's and Drosera froze and were mushy and just... omg gross. I'm so sad about that :( Luckily all of my sarracenia made it, I guess because they were planted deeper. I dug everything up and have got a bucket full of rhizomes that need planting :(

I'm just really sad about that lol. The good news is that after i was washing all the clay off of them I looked down and a lot of my sarracenia produced new crowns. I guess the cold was good for 'em :) I'm trying to look on the bright side and focus on that. And this means I get to buy new suff!

I'll post pics when I get home from the mountains. I feel like a potato farmer.

What do the rhizomes look like when they're completely dug up?
kinda like ginger or something?

Well to me they look like a cross between an elephant ear tuber and an iris lol. I guess everyone has a different opinion.

I'll be home wednesday and post pics.

I haven't seen too many but the few that I've replanted have looked like crappy muddy rocks with crap coming out of it.

xvart.

This is what Sarracenia rhizomes look like.

DSC01473.jpg

DSC01470.jpg

And here's a giant pot of D. adelae for fun.

DSC01477.jpg

The roots look nice and healthy. Should be no problem growing those back.

Oh yeah the Sarracenia didn't take a licking at all, I'm just paranoid and didn't want them to freeze too hard and turn to mush NEXT year.

Wow That's a lot of little rhizomes

What types of sarrs were in there?

Thats 1 rhizome and believe it or not that is the smallest division of 4 that I made with that plant.. Its S x "Judith Hindle"

It's not the size that matters :)

I lost some (all) of my VFTs to frost this year as well, it really sucks but I snagged a new one at the flower show. ^^

Also, LOL

yeah I lost my first 'well grown' CP this winter (my first) due to reoccurant frosts and freezes and thaws

At least ya got those beautiful Adelae!! Excellent growing!

- Jeff

thanks :) You can see a couple baby "Red giants" in there, too.

i lost an S. flava(no coming back...the rhizome was all mushy and brown) and ALL of my VFTs over this winter. so far nothing else is dead though :)
Alex

I have raised Sarracenia and Dionaea for 8 years here in Kansas in my bog garden. The trick is to put the bog garden partially underground (hence, dig your hole and line it with your pond liner). The bigger the bog, the more likely it will be more resistant to damage.

Also, I always lay about a foot of straw and cover with a tarp every year.

My "mini bog's" Sarracenia died though. Not from the frosts, but continuous freezing and thawing during the last part of winter. It is funny that they survived weeks frozen, but the continuous heavy rains alternating with freezing weather in late February killed them.

My bog WAS the ground :)

The sarracenia were fine but I don't want the mud to wash away and them freeze in a year or two. The lake is eroding :(

I'm just gonna send them off for me friend to have this fall/winter, I'm going to college soon anyway.

My Sarracenia seem fine but my VFt's well thats a different story.

I thought you lost the plants in your bog.???

Back