What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium pics, Take a look**

el_chopito

Maurin Quina Le Pui
Ok ok, so I finally ventured to the world of plants, I,ve been a reptile hobbyist for quite some time, but I have to admit that carnivore plants are damn cool, so after researching a little bit I went ahead and set up this tank, tell me what you think....

picture109cy5.jpg

picture106tk6.jpg

picture105rk7.jpg

picture104jm8.jpg

picture102yw1.jpg

Well you asked what we thought so I'll tell you it's all wrong. No offense. You live in TX! Perfect for Dionaea! And the Darlingtonia should go outside aswell. Keep the roots cool if you can. They both have high light requirments.

The media is too dry. And test those stones with an acid to make sure they won't buffer the media, as peat is acidic and will dissolve them over time.

Move the lights much closer, and get some more Nepenthes and put them in pots. Then they'll outgrow the tank :) Personally I'd just sit the lights on the terrarium directly and I'd remove the cover if you weren't going to rest it on something (some would rest it on something and remove the cover, I'm not that brave).

Good try! You get an A for effort! You could make a species tank with live sphagnum and let D. adelae overrun it. That would be T-I-G-H-T!

hmm.... and i thought i had it all covered, thanks for the help, ok, i got the glass top out of there n the light is sitting almost on the tank, can you explain the last thing you mentioned about the species tank?

Yeah I think if you just put a bunch of live Sphagnum in there, on top of dead LFS, and put some D. adelae in there it would look awesome. A species terrarium is just a terrarium with one species.

Seriously you'll be SO glad you put them outside. They would have died slowly withered away in that terrarium. Be careful about that Darlingtonia getting too hot. I can't grow it here in GA :(

Wow. You're growin Darlingtonia in Texas?? You are doin a great job of keeping them alive!! Thanks for the pics

- Jeff

Listen to JustLikeAPill, I'm in Texas too and the best place for VFT's and cobras are outside in the sun (Just keep the cobras roots cool). I would remove the VFT's and cobras and get more neps to keep in the tank along with some sundews.

Also it doesn't look like your peat is totally wet. Before adding peat to any pot or terrarium, you should put it in some kind of undrained pot, add water, and mix it up until it is all totally wet (like mud).

Your set-up looks good, it only needs a few changes to make it perfect.

Back