What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a good Analog Hygrometer

Does anyone know where I can get a accurate Analog Hygrometer?
my digital died from the humidity.
Peace,
Zero

Petco or Petsmart. OR the local pet shop or maybe a fish store

analog? Ahh. I hate analog things. I can barely read an analog clock.

Hygrometers are cheap and when mine die I just by a new one. 10 bucks a year isn't too bad.

Mine are both off about 10 % for some reason (I'm assuming that my humidifier is correct). So, if I were you I would just buy another, maybe better, digital. Or, if you're really needing lots they have things that have a bunch of different probes for a ton of $$$.

My Digital Hygrometer died within a year too. I'm not sure about analog ones, but the digital ones are only accurate in the 30-90% humidity range.

The anilog ones can be calibrated, but then you still need a good digital to calibrate it. Then that is assuming the filiment that expands and contracs stays acurate too.

You can always get a wet bulb hygrometer.

What's that? How expensive

Wet bulb hygrometers are also known as Mason's hygrometers. They use the difference between a wet and dry thermometer to get humidity. I think they're around $30.

They're a pain because you have to use a chart or slide rule to figure out the RH and you have to keep the little resevoir filled with water. I don't know what the pluses are, there must be some or else they would have stopped making them.

Don't they make any stronger, wet-resistant ones?

What's the point of putting it in a ziploc thing if it would have a different humidity?

They make outdoor digital hygrometers that are built to operate fully exposed. How do you think meteorologists do it? There are increasingly more consumer-level weather devices on the market as well. The cheap analog hygrometers you find at pet stores are pretty inaccurate in my experience; if you're willing to drop $30 or $40, you can find a weather-resistant one. Many of them even have wireless waterproof sensors that give readouts and record highs/lows on a base station that you keep indoors.
~Joe

Back