What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dish Garden

Container's about 6 inches in diameter. The little esseriana is about the size of a nickel, maybe a bit larger. I just planted a bunch more esseriana from a different grower, I'll post photos when I get some time this weekend. Hopefully a few of my other leaf pullings will take off, and I'll be able to finish populating this thing, and just enjoy the growth. One more little update... the colors on that Sethos have been fading a bit at work, so I brought it home, and it's colored up again under my home lights. Looks like it may be spending weekends at home with me, and showing off during the week at work. Keep your eyes peeled for updates this weekend!

Also, thanks for the comments, I'm really happy with the way it turned out, too.

awesome idea!

i ntuiced in your last picture that the perlite has turned green and is growing a moss - i have some that does that too - is that moss harmful?

The Perlite just turns brown/green as it absorbs tannins from the peat used in the mix. There are some mosses starting to grow in the dish now, but they're tiny. Here's an update, I've planted a lot more P. esseriana I got for really cheap. The big empty circle will be filled eventually with another larger Mexiping, I just haven't decided what to put there yet. Enjoy...

MexipingDishGarden013.jpg

Beauty. You should be proud.

Could u explain what that dish is?? I love the nice style and shape. It looks like a porclelain bathroom light housing. :p

really well made. I love the modern style. It would be a nice gift to give to my mom if I make it. :) lol! A little piece of what her son does in his pastime ;) .

I stumbled across this thread again and I must say that the dish garden turned out to be quite beautiful! I'm still considering doing something just like this with some Pings of my own. By the way, what makes that dish 'self-watering'? I see those pots quite often, marketed for growing African Violets, but I've never understood their function.

Quite nice. I have a similar thing with a clear fish bowl, but this is classier. I don't have the watering thing though. Oh well. Maybe when it is time to change the soil.

Nice set up

beautiful P. esseriana and clean dish.
perfect collocation.:-D

Back