What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benefits of a fogger

Just wondering how much of a benefit a fogger would be in a highland tank. What would the downsides be? And are there any precautions that should be taken if one is going to be used? I like them for viewing purposes, but I know nothing about them so I need some more details.

Thanks in advance!
Victoria

I think it increases humity helping pitcher growth. Oh and even though this is unbelievible off topic. Is the dog in the picture an Alaskan klee kia or husky?

A downside to a humidifier (or, rather, a manageable side-effect) is that the higher humidity tends to invite fungus. To counteract this, air circulation is recommended. Either leave the tank partially uncovered, or add a fan to keep the air moving. Also, certain CPs, such as many species of Drosera, don't really appreciate humid air, so make sure you research the types of plants you plan to keep in there.
~Joe

Thanks for the info...I would have Neps in it and that is about it. I thought about having it covered during the night and open partly during the day or should I still have a small fan in it?

The dog is Tundra, our Siberian Husky, he was about 8 weeks old in that pic and is now is a little over 5 months old and HUGE!! He is a great puppy and is already extremely obedient. He really enjoys swimming at lakes and ponds and camping with us. Thanks for asking about him!

Victoria

The answers to those questions depend a lot on your conditions and the needs of your plants. Doing different things can accomodate different species: if you have a tank near a source of cool outside air, leaving it unconvered at night can produce a temperature drop by lowering the dewpoint, but may not give you maximum humidity. If you keep the tank sealed and use a fan, things stay warmer and wetter. Also, some techniques work better in certain situations: people living in warm, humid areas won't be able to lower temperatures at night using the method described above because the outside air is too wet and won't take up more water.
This is the Nep section of Barry Rice's CP FAQ. I haven't yet read Barry's latest update, but he knows what he's talking about. Nepenthes Around the House is another good starting point, and if you do some digging (try the links from Barry's site) you can find plenty more info on how the experienced hobbyists grow their plants. Do some research and try whatever sounds like it will work for you. Or tell me a little more about what you're growing and the conditions around your house.
~Joe

I have read pretty much the entire site of nepenthesaroundthehouse, lol. I have also read a lot of Barry's site but havent read anything on Neps there yet, so thanks for the link!

We evaporate about 8 gals of water a day with the tanks so I think the daytime temp and humidity will be fine for them to be slightly uncovered during the day but to get the humidity higher and cool the tank down at night I will have to cover it at night. So far everything is going good with the temps in it but I do want to get the humidity up just a little bit more at night than it has been getting.

Thanks for your help and the links!
Victoria

way off topic,

I had an Alaskan Malamute by the name of Tundra, you are the only other person I have even seen to use that name LOL

her registered name was "Tundra of the North" and a puppy of hers I kept was "Adak, son of Tundra"

we now take you back to your normally scheduled programming :)

LOL, no worries on being off topic, that is what I do best!

Well, now you are the first ones we know to use that name as well! Jeremy thought Tundra would fit him perfect so that is the name we stuck with. Thats cool you were able to keep one of her puppies!

I've done a lot of work with the ultra sonic foggers and they do 2 things;

1) they greatly raise humidity and......
2) they tend to kill things with over moisture, mold, mildew, bacteria, etc...

They are great for starting cuttings (probably the best) but once the cuttings are established they are better off with more moderate supplies of humidity unless you are talking about a single head fogger in a pretty good sized chamber. They can be good but kill things very quickly if you leave your chamber alone for lengths of time

Joe

Ur Helis and neps will love it. It can rot woood if ur tank is made of wood.

Thanks guys! If I get one it will only be on in the night and off in the day. Good thing the tank is made of glass, lol.

Thanks again everyone;
Victoria

Back