What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mylar- Where have YOU found it?

• Thread starter Wesley
  • Start date

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
So we all know how you can find the weirdest things in the weirdest places. Well what about mylar???? I have to motives for this post. 1) I need some mylar 2) I'd like to hear some about some interesting finds.

On big posterboard sheets at Michaels in the.. stationary section. You can probably get a roll on Ebay or a hydroponics supplier. Or you can buy a bunch of mylar balloons and cut them in half and put the inside of the ballon on the back of the terraria/shelf.

Just getting creative. Or those sunlight deflectors for cars. Or thermal emergency blankets.

http://www.discount-hydro.com/mylar.asp

There's a bit to be found in the Sea of Tranquility (Mare Tranquillitatis) on the Moon. At 0.8° N, 23.5° E (Statio Tranquillitatis) to be precise.

Closer to home, try a hydroponics store.

I actually found a roll of Mylar at party city listed as wrapping paper! It works just fine but it’s very very thin so it crinkles easily. I have also seen Mylar in aquarium stores as fish tank backing but its quiet expensive. The “wrapping paper” I got was very cheap at only $4.00
By the way using it a wrapping paper doesn’t work very well, wrapping anything in it that isn’t perfectly flat with flawless edges results in it looking all wrinkled up with patterns of ripples going across the surface…

I found my 25' roll of 2mil from my local grower supply....

http://homeharvest.com

Pretty easy find.:bigthumpup: 'prolly all that I'll ever need too....

When I search for "mylar" on ebay or amazon, I wind up with emergency blankets popping up. Am thinking of going to the local PX store and asking if they have those folded up blankets for hikers, etc. I'd like to see how thick it is if it's supposed to protect a stranded hiker.

The size is still bigger than I need for my newly acquired 20 gallon long aquarium. -- If I'm lucky it will cover 3 sides on both my aquiriums.

I am getting ready to grow a bunch of drosera and sarracenia seed!

Yep, the cp bug has bit me!

I use those emergency blankets. they are thinner than most mylar but still very reflective, also cheap and easy to find. just look in the camping section of most stores and you will find them.

Ha! zero beat me to it. I bought an emergency blanket for $2.16 at the local Wal Mart. It's 52" × 84" square once you unfold it.

Well, I used my connections along with a little research. My dad is a contractor and uses Dupont's Tyvek housewrap. The stuff is highly reflective and insulates very well for it's thickness. Well I went one up on that and used roof-wrap type stuff which is essentially the same thing only more heavy duty with imprints so that people won't slide off the roof. Amazing stuff it is!

Back