What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

storage of soil

musamusa1975

michael1975
Does anyone know if damp CP soil can be frozen for later use? (I put together a large batch--mostly peat moss, sphagnum and perlite--to pot some sarracenia seedlings. I ended up with a lot left over and nothing to plant. So I thought I would try and save it for the winter when I will transplant some of my plants into larger pots.) A bit strange I know...but I'm trying not to waste anything...

When I have extra mixed soil I put it in airtight tupperware containers and pour boiling water over it before sealing it up. Seems to work just fine. I've never bothered to put it in the freezer, but I don't think it could hurt. Might make your freezer smell like dirt.
~Joe

I let my extra soil air dry. then when bone dry, label and seal for later.
keeping moist soil is not a good idea as many unwanted organisms can grow.

I left my bag of peat open in my basement once, and a neighborhood cat got in and used it as a litter box! :-(

I left my bag of peat open in my basement once, and a neighborhood cat got in and used it as a litter box! :-(
Hmmmm, have you tried stuffing the cat headfirst into the peat to see if you could grow kittens??

I store my peat dry to prevent mold or fungus from growing in it.

Last edited:
I do as Zero suggested. Just let it airdry and reuse later... after rinsing thoroughly.

Back