What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My terrarium pics

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I thought I’d take some pics of my terrariums that I have since a new one was just set up today.

This is the new tank a few days ago. I tried growing a large mobile carnivore in it but being that it was mobile, it did not stay in the tank.

cat_tank.jpg

Ok enough with that. Here is the new tank that I set up for my Pings.

ping_tank.jpg

Two reasons I set this tank up. The main one was because I needed more room for my neps that are getting bigger. The second is because I wanted more leaf color on my Pings. I’m hoping that the new light will achieve the coloration I’m hoping for. The bad news about this tank is I'm going to be getting rid of the orchids I grow.

Here is a tank I set up a year ago to start propagating cephs.

ceph_tank.jpg

And the last tank I have has been set up since I’ve started growing these magnificent plants. Currently it has some cephs, pygmy sundews, all my Petiolaris complex, and a Heli.

Pet_tank.jpg

And finally a pic with the complete set up with the stand I made for them.

all_tanks.jpg

very cool on your set up. Can you describe the lighting? i take it is fluorescent lights?

BTW, i do get good color on my pings. It is best if they are within 4 inches from the lights. I see that you have mylar in the back, how about on the sides? Even the front would be best, but then you can't see the plants.

Thanks,
Peter.

Nice! How are you liking the PC's? I love 'em!

That's a great setup! That's the perfect solution to the problem I'm having with my plants. I don't have a great location where the sun shines in all day, and was hoping to do something just like that.

It was mentioned before, but I too am wondering what kind of lights you are using. If it's flourescents or what. What I was wondering if those natural lights that look like they are twisted around would work better. I think they are supposed to be brighter and closer to natural sunlight.

Also, I thought it was best for sundews and vft to be watered from the bottom and not the top. But it appears as though top watering is working fine for you. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

firewired

Thanks for the comments.

pingman,
No mylar on the sides. I may buy some more to do the sides.

Not a Number,
I've seen that before. Funny.

JustLikeAPill,
I switched over about 2 years ago and have not gone back.

firewired,
I water all my plants I grow from the top. Over 3 years now with no problems. Even the crowns on my cephs get wet when I water them.

Now onto the set up of each of the tanks.
Ping Tank
It is a 10 gallon tank. It has an under gravel filter plate with stones placed over it. This way I do not need as many stones, so the tank is lighter, and also if I want to keep water in the tank for more humidity, it now has a reservoir created by the filter plate. Currently I have no water in the tank.
For the lighting I use 1 - 96 watt 6,700K Aqualight Power Compact Fixture.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/209751/product.web

Ceph Tank
It is a 10 gallon tank. It has an under gravel filter plate with stones placed over it. This way I do not need as many stones, so the tank is lighter, and also if I want to keep water in the tank for more humidity, it now has a reservoir created by the filter plate. Currently I have no water in the tank.
For the lighting I use 1 - 40 watt 67,000K / 10,000K Sunpaq bulb.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/204923/product.web

The only problem with this light is it comes with a 1 - 40 watt 10,000k / 460nm bulb. It costs an additional $25.00 to buy the 67,000K / 10,000K bulb. Who knows maybe the 10,000k / 460nm bulb would work, I've never tried it.

My First Tank
It is a 10 gallon tank. What I did when I set up my terrarium is I placed a submersible aquarium heater in the center, on the bottom of the tank. The heater is set at 72°F. I then placed four 1 1/2" high supports in each corner. I then placed an under gravel filter plate on top the supports. I then covered the filter plate with aquarium gravel. This left me with an open area were the heater sits under the filter plate. I then filled up the aquarium with water just below the top of my gravel. From time to time I replace the evaporated water so that it's level stays just below my gravel.
For the lighting I use 1 - 40 watt 67,000K / 10,000K Sunpaq bulb and 1 - 15 watt Flora Sun bulb.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/204923/product.web
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/204561/product.web

Wow, the ping tank sounds like it has plenty of light. You should get some nice color from it!
Peter.

Nice setup Steve!

Jerry

Wow, the ping tank sounds like it has plenty of light. You should get some nice color from it!
Peter.

That's what I'm hoping for. :-O

Looking real good... and so uniform! And no yogurt cups or cinder blocks and 2x4's!

very nice

If those are 10 gallons where did you get the nice hoods ?

jm, I think you're referring to the aqualight fixtures that he posted links about on the first page.

Nate

Hey!! Now there is a brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that before? I have been doing it all wrong. Instead of putting the plants in the tank and letting the cat roam free, I should put the CAT in the tank and then I will have TONS more growing space! What a brilliant idea. I think I will begin converting over right now.

Steve

Hey!! Now there is a brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that before? I have been doing it all wrong. Instead of putting the plants in the tank and letting the cat roam free, I should put the CAT in the tank and then I will have TONS more growing space! What a brilliant idea. I think I will begin converting over right now.

Steve

:-)) :-))

:nono:

I just noticed this after the above post.
Is it me, or does it look like this smilie :nono: is giving us the middle fingure?

Definitely flippiing us off.! :-))

Take a closer look... it's the index finger!

Used Irfan View to magnify image. I say he's giving us the finger! :-O

Come on Scott take a closer look. The smilie only has 3 fingers and the middle ones up!!

I'm offended. This :censor: smilie must go............

:-P-:

:-))

Back