What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how often to change florescent bulbes?

I have 2 48" walmart shop lights.
how often should I change the bulbs?
I have had the lights for about 10 months and have not changed them yet.
thanks,
Zero

Other people use them until they go out. I'm going to tell you to change them yearly.

They get worse exponetially (I've heard - never tested or done any experimenting) but so far I've changed mine at approximately the six month mark. I also have access to an ultimited supply of free bulbs.

I've heard of people that alternate bulbs so they change each bulb every year, but stagger them on a six month time period so that, for example, if you have 4 bulbs on one shelf they would change 2 in January and two in June. This would allow you to have a couple "fresh" bulbs all the time, and not break the bank if you have a lot or use expensive bulbs.

Take a look at the inside of your bulbs and see if you can see a buildup of gunk and stuff. If you see that around the ends they you should probably think about changing them in the near future, if not sooner.

xvart.

thanks for the input.
I'm using t12 cool floros, I only pay about a buck a piece for them.
so I think i'll go ahead and change them.
peace,
Zero

thanks for the input.
I'm using t12 cool floros, so I only pay about a buck a piece for them.
so I think i'll go ahead and change them.
peace,
Zero

Sounds reasonable. Out of curiosity, how long has it been?

xvart.

I bought the lights about 10 months ago.
when I bought the lights I also bought a 10 pack of cool floro bulbs for about $11.
how do I dispose of used bulbs????

Check with your city, they should have a place to dispose of. FL's have mercury in them and other chemicals. Not good for the environment!!

I think here in CA it is no longer legal to dump in the trash (same for batteries)

Peter.

Back