What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool white energy costs

I have two 15 watt cool white fluorescent tubes on my 5 gallon terrarium. I've been wondering how much it's costing to run these lights (30 watts total) for 14-15 hours. The reason I ask is that I've downsized my entire CP collection down to a windowsill and this particular small terrarium in order to cut down on energy costs.

Does anyone have a ballpark estimate?

I would say pennies! I have over 800 watts of Fl!

I think around $.04 a day, $1.20 a month, and $14.40 a year.
Why did you downsize?
Did you have a LARGE amount of lights?
I have 4 40 wt, 3 25 wt cpf, and 2 2ft bulbs.
cost me $5.00 a month. all I need to do is skip a couple of morning coffees or get my bottled water from my ro filter instead of buying it and I have saved more than enough to pay for my plant lighting for the month.
peace,
Zero

I think I figured out one time it would cost about $5 or so a month to run 4 40watts 24 hours a day.

If you really need to know you can buy an energy usage monitor like the Kill-A-Watt EZ from P3 International.

Otherwise look on your last energy bill and find a figure like "average cost per kWh" and do the math from that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt-hour

Dang. I have twelve in the basement. I also have two 400 MH and one 1000 which I have never hooked up. Lat I knew, a 1000 MH cost about $30/month.

I'm still a bit apprehensive about setting up my terrarium at the new apartment, because I can't afford to get charged up the wazoo. My current terrarium has two 30 watt CFL and a 20 watt tube, for a total of 80 watts running at about 14 hours a day.

I'm looking at the electric bill and it's confusing as hell. Do you guys still think it'll be under five dollars a month to run these lights?

Edit: I managed to use a formula I found online and it seems that running 80 watts of light for 14 hours a day will only cost around $2.40 a month, which is more than manageable. I hope I did the equation right, seeing as math and I have never been close friends.

Here's the math:
80 watts x 14 hours =1120 watts per day
or 1.12 kilo watts per day.
On you bill, you have a charge per kilowatt. Multiply that by # of kilowatts and you get your cost per day!
Peter.

Back