What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

natural lighting for highland neps. qs.

musamusa1975

michael1975
Hi everyone,

I have recently set up a few highland neps (ventricosa, truncata, aristolochiodes, and ramispina) in my living room. I mist about 4 times a day, and the temps are in the upper 70s during the day, and upper 60s at night. I'm concerned about whether I am giving them enough light though. From 8 to 11 in the morning they get a decent amount of filtered sun light. But from noon onward its mostly shaded. I enclosed some photos which should give an idea of the light levels around mid-day. (I know I could get a grow light, but I've already gotten complaints that I turned the room into a mess--so that may not be an option) :-(

CIMG2460.jpg

CIMG2459.jpg

CIMG2457.jpg

Any opinions if I'm starving these neps of sun? Thanks for your time.

Michael

Last edited:
If you can't add any grow lights there's really nothing you can do except cut down some trees and maybe a fence. You could try growing them outside since you're in cali.

Unless you want to make you're house all 80's style and add a mirrored wall, which would look... worse than a shop light :)

I also don't think upper 60's at night is good enough long term for the aristo.

What part of california do you live in. If you live close to the coast i would grow them outside.

I live in Oakland--up in the hills. We get a fair amount of fog at night and in the morning. So I suppose it's an option to put them outside. The temps would go down to the upper 50's, so that should definitely be chilly enough for them I would think. Would hate for a squirrel to come buy though and tear them up though.....

(I'll consider going retro and putting up mirrors everywhere too)

Back