What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yey! Finally set up some better lighting!

juliethegr8t

Instant Addict
I realized I needed some more lighting for some of my plants, as well as some that I want to have in the future, so finally broke down and set up some shop fixtures. :) I got 2 2 bulb fixtures and each has 2 40 watt cool white bulbs in it. They'll be hanging together over a 4 foot shelf on my wall. I just put the shelf up tonight and the lights well be hooked up tomorrow. I'm so excited! I only have one question for y'all -

How far away, on average (or per species) do you keep your lights from your plants?

I've read many different recommendations but am curious to hear different experiences. I have heard a lot that recommend 6-8 inches, some say 3, and then there are some who say you should keep the lights as close to the plant as possible without touching it. Thanks for your thoughts!

I'll try to get some pics up sometime here soon, too. It's nothing fancy but I had to be creative (very, very limited space and budget) so I'm quite proud of my miniature setup!

:banana2:

With florescent lights you don't have to worry about the plants being over-heated or burnt since the heat output is negligible. I would say keep the lights as close as possible but far enough away that you can still enjoy viewing your plants without having to stand on your head or look between your legs! Of course, various plants are taller than others but 8 inches is a good distance. Mine are about six to eight inches depending on the plants.

xvart.

About 6" is good. But monitor the plant's response (or reaction). I have had sundews burn a bit when the intensity increased.

Back