What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

growspace pictures please

Hey im starting my collection, and im still tring to deside on growspaces, whether it will be a closet, a window, or a tank. Can i see some pictures of your growspaces so i may better plan mine and deside on which to use. Also can you state the types of plants you grow in your setup.

many thanks

I know I have some old school pictures of my "grow closet" that I'll have to dig up tomorrow. It was a shelf above my closet that I put florescent lights in and stood on a chair to water and view my plants. I finally bought a shelf and it makes it much easier, but I certainly have fond memories of that ghetto grow area.

xvart.

Closet- good option for less picky plants. people will think you grow weed, though
Window- for even less picky plants then the closet, yet they will be visible to the world
Tank- grow anything, but space is an issue. use this if you plan to buy expensive plants.

my advice is to use both windows and a tank. when you order a plant, put it in the tank for a week or three, and then move it to a window if you so choose. if it declines, move it back to the tank. i do this, and it works rather well. my expensive plants stay in the tank but most of my nepenthenes are either in windows or in my bog garden.

the best advice i can give for a tank is the dimensions, when picking one out, remember height is least important. the longer and the deeper the better! and trust me, if you get into CPs it WILL fill up fast. spend the money on a big tank now so you dont end up replacing a small one later.

Do all three if you can afford it.

Here's an old, outdated picture of my terrarium. Most of this stuff has been traded away so it looks a little barren right now.

DSC02286.jpg

heres mine. its a bit old. some plants added...in new containers...more lights(6 lights total) and better looking plants! i use:
IMG_1507.jpg

1-Shelving By Design- 6x4x18in(?) 5 tiered Storage Shelf
6- 4ft, 2bulb(40 watt each), T12 Fluorescent fixtures
12- 40watt T12 daylight fluorescent bulbs
3- boot trays(water trays :D)
pots, plants, lots of water and potting mix
1-digital termometer/ hydrometer

as you can see i grow quite a variety of plants :D it can be a little pricey(~200) but its worth every penny!
Alex

Heres Mine

CIMG3048.jpg

CIMG3049.jpg

My Seedlings and cuttings area

CIMG3050.jpg

mine
If you base your grow area around lighting, go for the 4 ft. floro lighting. $8 for a 40 watt x2 fixture @ wallyworld, and 10 cool white bulbs for $10 @ Lowes or Home Depot.
windows.jpg

Heres a pic of my highland shelf in the basement
100_1207.jpg

Depending upon what you want to get into or have money for:

IMG_0104-1.jpg
unheated stiarway

IMG_0007-1.jpg
bathroom window

IMG_0194.jpg
closet

IMG_4212.jpg
outside

man!!! where do u guys get fixtures for 8$??? walmart in canada square one, doesn't have any, home depot sells fixtures for no less than 20$ and they are not even made with WALL OUTLETs in mind. :(

Really? I just bought my two fixture outlet from HomeDepot for about $8.50 each. I haven't been to a wallyworld in years (and plan on keeping it that way)

hey, well i plan to grow nepenthes, drosera, byblis, and pings. (as well as some orchids and orchid cactus) pretty much really tropical plants. I live in a zone 6-7 home. and i have a south window but also space for a rack, and a closet. I need some advice; is it better to grow the plants on the windowsill like Zero or in a closet with 4 light bulbs and a humidifyer? Or should i invest a giant tank?

It depends upon the plant and their lighting requirements. Some will grow well on a window sill all year long. Others will be fine for half the year and need supplemental lighting. For others, a window sill won't be enough.

Back