What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milar vs foil

I know that milar is really reflective as I have had more than one sun visor for my car made from it. I just bought a shelving unit for my plants with the floro lights and all. I was thinking about adding reflective material to the sides to keep the light at the plants and to stop from illuminating the entire room. If I can't find milar ready avail, would aluminum foil work? Also, how do you mount it to the sides of your shelves? Do you glue it to posterboard so it has some backing/support?

You just tape it. If you get at least 2 mil thick mylar you should have no problem working with it without needing a backing.
Mylar is readily available in 4 foot rolls off the net. Just do a search. Many hydroponic suppliers stock it.
Really the best for reflective use, others not as effective.... Foil is a pain to use and apply....
Peter.

What Pingman said.

Mylar is quite easy to find locally and online. It can be difficult to cut accurately. (for me anyway)

I've never tried aluminum foil...

If they were cars, mylar would be a Corvette and aluminum foil would be a Pinto. I've got it taped to all 4 sides AND the bottom of my terrarium. Just don't crease it. When you tap it, and it moves, it's easy to see just how much light it reflects because you can see areas on the plants light up and fade as the mylar moves.

If I ever win the lotto, I'm gonna line my terrarium with Aranmula kannadi lmao.

Hi, I would stay away from the aluminum foil, from what I read about growing other plants foil does not distribute the light evenly and can cause burn spots on your plants. I would stick to mylar.

Back