What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fluorescent light recommendations?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
My wife, in a rare support of this hobby, is willing to allow me to have a couple 24" shelves dedicated for fluorescent lighting, so as to winter the Neps and Petiolaris plants. I did a quick check at Walmart to see what they had in 24" bulbs and all I saw was a 20W light. That's pretty low lighting! Is there anything higher or better?

For regular fixtures, that's what there is, pretty much. If you want much more light, you could go with a T5 fixture, but they are expensive. Otherwise, just go with four of the 24" tubes and whatever is under them should grow well. Put some mylar or foil on any walls on the shelf to help bounce the light around.

Capslock

Agree with Caps...T5's will cost about $130 for a 4 bulb 2 foot fixture. I think it is about 96 watts with high lumens.
Otherwise if you can get 4 of the regular bulbs, you should be fine. Just try and keep close to the lamps!

Peter.

Don't Growlux bulbs exist anymore? Were't they designed for plant growth?

Back