What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They most obnoxius pests!

Squirlls!
They keep digging in my minibog! I come home and my VFT has been torn up.

If anyone else has this problem, I'd like to see how you solved it. Right now I've just been yelling and chasing squirls whever I see one, with hope it will teach them whos boss.

Mabye I could install a sensor that would make noise whenever something comes near? They have those for like $4.

Thats what I'm going to do do. If anyone else has a better idea, please let me know!

Thanks,
-Deme

those sensors tend to be crap. Remember the star wars laser fighter thing with the eyetoy? Maybe put a stick fence around it or something, or one of those little mini garden fences?
Oh, and the most obnoxious pests by far are the uneducated parents. They "give your minibog some extra soil" and bury your D. filiformis in peat, feed your flytraps cicadas, and move humidity loving neps to the windowsill in a room with a de-humidifier for "some natural sunlight."

You could put chicken wire fence over the bog and around it.

xvart.

i've sprinkled pepper and chili powder around my porch. so far it seems to keep the raccoons away. i imagine it would also work with squirrels.

I think I might combine all these ideas. Thanks.

The humanitarian/enviromentalists next door are gonna kill me though, once they find out what I do to squirlls.

J/k, I'm an enviromentalist myelf, with NO respect for anything that hurts my plants!

the best idea is to get a pellet/bb gun and just shoot them when you see them

thats the fun approach to your problem

Or set the woods on fire

...What? We're already destroying our planet.

Lol, j/k.

Next post: YU BTTR BE J/KIN NECI CUZ TATS A BAD TING!!!!!!oneoneone!111!!!!!one!1!1

Haha, j/king again. Or am I? Just don't copy and paste that.

two words:

Pellet gun.

two words:

Pellet gun.

Two words:

CRAZYNAZILADYWITHAROLLINGPINWITHARUSSIANACCENTSCREAMINGATTHESQUIRRELSASSHETRIESTOCUT
DOWNTHEIRTREESYELLINGSOMETHINGINAFOREIGNLANGUAGEGOING"HYAKAKAKKA"INBETWEENWORDS

That's a good idea. She might cost a few hundred dollars to import though.

you guys are all forgetting the most practical ways. Get a squirrel trap. If you catch a squirrel put it in the blender for food for the neps. There's always poison pellets too. I like the kind where they die slowly. Best idea: feed it alkaseltzer. It will fizz up in the squirrel's stomach acids and cause it to explode. A great visual effect, and can be added to the bog's soil without damage! hehehe... I love squirrel crises.

hi Nepenthusiast,

I have had a similar problem, not with skwe-rells, but with racoons. They would dig my sarrs up, shred em' up, take the bugs, dig up everything else. I was SO p1ssed off!

i tried everything from the 'coon deterrent stuff, to even placing my entire cacti collection around my sarracenia collection. but it was still a no go!

I just moved everything into a 6 x 6 x 8 greenhouse/shed type structure for now and surrounded the whole thing with glass and chickenwire. That seems to do the trick to keep the coons out - they haven't figured a way in -- just yet.

I will be working on crossing one of my Gunnera manicata's (HUGE LEAVES!) with a Venus fly trap. this will solve the problem once and for all and RID the world from these dreaded pests. If I ever am successful, I will share my creation with the rest of the world to solve their CP rodent problems.

(...and boss problems, in-law problems, out-law problems.... so on... ) :-))

i have to say alka seltzer, as someone else has said.

it is effective, entertaining, and just plain awsome! try it!

Back