What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exo Terra Repti Glo Lights

I was browsing the pet store for different methods to heat a tank and saw a 3 bulb fixture by Exo Terra that is made for terrariums. Has anybody tried these for you CPs? I've used compact fluorescent bulbs by themselves for growing CPs on a desk so I'd assume that it would be ok. I'm wondering if any of their specialty bulbs would be good?

I would like something this size for smaller tanks and the shop lights aren't the most attractive thing to have in your living room. Any thoughts?

This is the fixture in question:
http://www.blackjungle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BJTS&Category_Code=LGT

You could use that, or you could get a 1 or preferable 2 lamp power compact (not the same thing as a compact fluorescent, which is IMO crap) hood. They look better than that thing, IMO.

It's all about how much you want to spend. You could easily spend 150 dollars to have the perfect lighting and a very attractive set up for your space. Whatever you do, don't pay extra money for "specialty" lamps because they won't grow your plants better than anything else. Find the color you want, within reason, and use that. I like 10,000K myself, but it won't grow anything better than a 5000K. If you go with those spiral bulbs, get something that says daylight/6,500K otherwise it'll look yellow.

My first impression of that canopy you had in mind is that it looks cheap and flimsy. The reflectors look like crap and everywhere you see black that isn't covered by reflective material is wasted light, not to mention by the very nature of a spiral energy saver you're going to lose light from restrike. Sorry if I sound harsh, just IMO. Personally I'd get this:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~CU01003.html

or twice as good, this if you can afford it:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~CU01013.html

Any of those have enough wattage (and ~24") to keep Petiolaris Complex plants happy?

Hey there ilbasso. I was just tellin vraev about that exo-terra lighting fixture I used to use for some of my CPs. I grew Nepenthes, Cephalotus', and Drosera in there with no issues whatsoever. They also have a decently low heat signature compared to my T5s. I no longer use the fixture for CP's but it works great for my vivarium plants. You can set it to one light, two lights, or all three. For its price it's hard to beat. I have dropped mine numerous times and it has not cracked, or even broken a light bulb. It's a good value IMO. Just make sure to use the correct spiral bulbs with it. I use nVision Daylight Bulbs. The color is fairly similar to the output of my T5's, they are very bright, and they are significantly more inexpensive. Check out Vraev's post under Nepenthes "Plan for new highlander lighting" thread. Hope this helps.

ExoTerraCanopy.jpg

-Daniel

Edit: By the way a compact fluorescent would be better, and more lighting, but they can cost in excess of a hundred dollars. This lighting fixture is around 28$.

Last edited:
Found in most petshops?

I found it in a pet store (I think it was Pet Supplies Plus) although if you check out that link about, their price was much less

Back