What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland greenhouse.

Looking to start a small Highland greenhouse and have a few questions.
Starting up a 6'x8'x7' greenhouse and in my area outside temps in summer run 95-100F during the day. I will have to use a swamp cooler to keep temps low during the day. At night this summer most temps running between 80-85F at night. Will a swamp cooler allow cooling at night into the 54-60F range? Also do you need to feed swamp cooler with RO water or is tap water fine? If not will I need an AC unit/did not want to use as they lower humidity. Any suggestions would be helpful. Anyone else set up a Highland greenhouse in the hot south?

you are up for a major challenge in keeping a cool greenhouse in the South! Swamp coolers work best in dry areas (like desert or California!). You may be able to keep the greenhouse at 85 in the day, but i think at night, the most you will get will be about 75 degrees due to the high humidity.
I know a friend in Florida who has to use air conditioning to cool his greenhouse.
Peter.

AC units lower humidity but you can just use an ultrasonic fogger to compensate.

I wonder how an AC unit blowing through an evap. cooler would work out. Would cool dry air going through the pads make cold wet air?

Swamp coolers flow waaaay more air than AC so no that wouldn't work. And also, ac dehumidify by constantly moving the same air through the coils, not by flowing it once and all the moisture being removed.

That being said, I doubt you can keep it cool enough using swamp cooler, the swamp cooler on mine, during normal dry season here, can acquire about 30f drop at most, at the cooler vent. Here are some outside temp/humidity/cooler temp examples of typical swamp cooler effectiveness (adobeair- mastercool coolers):

outside: 88 humidity 54% cooled air 78f
outside:94 humidity 38% cooled air 78f
outside: 106 humidity 16% cooled air 78f

Hope that helps.
Andrew

So an AC unit is the only way to go? Will running an AC unit and a swamp cooler together work as one adds humidity while the other lowers or would they just be working against each other?

Back