What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

experimental terrarium

losfreddy

Composter
Maybe this has already been tried, but yesterday i grabbed two 5 gallon Ozarka bottles for drinking water dispensers out of my neighbors trash can. The main problem in Texas is getting the seedlings healthy enough to not dry out in the heat. Lately, I've been taking Gallon jugs, filling part way with dirt and putting a plastic bag with soaked cloth for humidity. Sometimes i take a container just larger then the pot I'm using and fill it up with water and place the pot inside. The idea is to hold moisture and possible create like a green house/ tropical-like environment.. at least till the plant is big enough to be trans-plated and withstand the harsh Texas weather. So anyway, My idea is to cut a door large enough to stick a pot into and close off again. Probably put perlite in the to build humidity and put out of direct sunlight. The hole at the top would be left unsealed so that there would be some air exchange. I think this would make a great terrarium, cheap and easy. Probably give it a try as soon as i can figure out how to saw a door into this thing. What do you guys think?

I think that makes sense... But why not just get a plate or something similar and place a bowl over the plant and spray when necessary? Or, you could buy an aquarium and cut out a piece and somehow attach a door of acrylic or something. Or just use a classic fishbowl.

It should work - but make sure you don't get the containers in the beating sun. Quick way to steamed vegitables.

Back