What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Misting System or Humidifier

Hiya All-

By this weekend, I'm hoping to have my 8x8x8. Solexx greenhouse up and running.

I already have have my fans and heater, but I'm not whether to get a misting system or a humidifier to keep the humidity.
My goal is keeping the temp about 80 and the humidity also at 80. My intentions is for a true lowland environment.

Which should I get, a misting system or humidifier or a combination of both?

Also, any suggestions of brands and models?

Thanks,
Bo

the humidity would probably build up on its own after plenty of watering of the plants. Maybe a humidifer just for pleasure, but you'll probably be alright.

You could soak the floor several times a day, Which is what I do. And it makes it plenty humid.

Hiya Losfreddy & Maxposwillo-

After reading both of your replies, it seems that I should go for the misting system.

Because it will water the plants and wet the floor of my greenhouse at the same time and increase my humidity level.

I was thinking, allowing the mister to run a couple of minutes at morning to water the plants, then throughout the day just a couple of short ones then a little longer one before night.

I will have a thermostat for the heater, but for the humidity level (and temp), I will be monitoring my remote weather station, where the remote sensor will be in the gh and the base with all the readings will be in the house.

So, whaddya folks think? Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions, etc.

By the way, I was also looking at a greenhouse fogger. If I can't get the humidity up high enough, I thought I might look into it. But I don't want more gadgets than plants in the gh :-(

Thanks and good growing,
Bo

Hey All-

Today I visited a shop that specialized in selling alot of accessories for greenhouses and I asked one of the sales rep, which piece of equipment would be best to keep a greenhouse humidity up. I mentioned a mist system, a humidifier and something I found recently, a greenhouse fogger.

He said to get something that will create the finest mist and the smallest water droplets so it will be easy to evaporate in the air, which is what humdity is, the amount of water in the air. So a mister which creates the biggest droplets of water would only work if you had enough heat in the greenhouse to evaporate those big droplets. So he kinda leaned toward the humidifier, I also asked him about the greenhouse fogger, he said that is another good item too.

After talking to him, I think I will be getting this item: http://www.outdoorgardenfurniture.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=828

Let me know your folks thoughts.

Have a good weekend,
Bo

Problem with a misting system is the plants will always be too wet. I don't like my plants being constantly wet. While it may be fine for them in the wild, in a g/h it seems it causes molds to grow.

I use a humidifier in the smaller g/h (12*6*6) and a 1000PSI fogger system ran by a combination humidistat / cycle timmer for my bigger (main) green house (8*16*10). If you decide to use that fogger, use RO/di water so that you don't get the white miner dust build up all over everything from your tap water. But I would say a good humidifier will work fine. I paid about 70 bucks for mine, it holds 7 gallons of water, and has digital humitity settings. So it runs all by itself for days keeping the humidity up, without any help from me.

-Andrew

Hiya Andrew-

Actually, the water quality of of my area is very soft (6-11 parts per million), so I don't think I have to worry about any build up.

May I ask what type of "combination humidistat/cycle timer" are you using?

Wow, a 7 gallon humidifier, with digital humidity settings, again, may I ask what brand and model is it?

Awwwl Righteee Then, Have a Great Weekend Everyone . . . :-D

Bo :banana2:

Well, I'm using a cycle timer and a humidistat together... they're supposed to be used individually, but the humidistat didn't sense the humidity fast enough so the fogger was running a lot. So... (try to keep up here :D) I have the cycle timer to run something like 20 seconds every 30 mins (during the day, night is different). So when that time comes it puts power to the humidistat. If the humidity is low enough the humidistat then puts the power to the fogger... The fogger runs until the humidistat is happy with the humidity level, or the run time is out. This way, the fogger never runs "too long" from the cycle timer or when it doesn't need to (because the humidity level is high enough)

Hope all that makes sense :D

At those PPM levels of TDS you're right.. you should be fine. There of course still will be build up.. but it won't be too bad. My RO was putting out 9-12ppm and I have the white stuff on the greenhouse panels. So I have added DI and my output is 0. But that's after a year....

It is the best humidifier I've ever used. It is made by Lasko. The model although, is only made for Sams club. Their version sold in retail stores is not digital but I'm sure still a very nice unit. Here is what it looks like:

1012071717.jpg

And the control panel... (I had the door to the g/h open all day so the humidity level is low here.. but it has no problem keeping at the 65-75% i usually have it set at)

1012071717a.jpg

... it's a lot. 6 - 8 somewhere gallons.. This picture shows the non-digital version, but my local Sams is where I get them..
http://www.laskoproducts.com/humidifiers/model_1150.html

Happy weekend to you too ;-)

Edit: Don't confuse this with a "wick" style humidifier... This has a pump that pumps the water to the top of the pad and it runs down... You don't have to wonder if the whole pad is wet like you do on the wick ones... And I've NEVER had to replace the pad (although it comes with 1 replacement pad) (I use my ro in there) The "water fall" you see on the front shows the water is circulating... Kinda a neat feature :)

Hiya Andrew-

Thanks for all the info :hail:

If your fogger is on 20 seconds for every 30 minutes of the day, what kind of cycle do you have it at night?

Thanks again,
Bo

I personally don't run mine at night since when the temperature cools down the humidity will increase naturally. Cool air can hole less water vapor so the RH% increases. My humidity at night is probably... 90% while the day is like... 80 to 85 %.

This was the main reason I added in the humidistat to the system... Because it really didn't need to run most nights... But sometimes it does. So that cycle is like 20 seconds every 3 hours. But since the humidity is generally higher, it doesn't run due to the humidistat in the system :)

Hiya Andrew-

May I ask what brand and model are your cycle timer and humidistat?

Good Growing,
Bo

Back