What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petiolaris Set-up

I am getting back into growing CPs after a few years break of mostly focusing on succulents. While I was "gone", petiolaris sundews suddenly became inexpensive and accessible to the average grower. I want to be able to provide a good set up for them. I am planning on growing them in small, squat, plasitc terreriums (so that lights can be placed close to them). I need to bring my outdoor tropicals in for the winter, so I need to make a bid growlight purchase. What type/brand/combination of growlights should I buy for growing petiolaris dews (as well as other rosetted sundews and mexican pings). A lot of growers seem to have great luck with petiolaris complex sundews. Is there a "magic combination" when it comes to growlight set-up and distance from lights? My house gets warm in the summer but is a rather consant 68 in the winter. What sort of heating device should I get to keep the plants from sulking all winter?

Umm well a aqurium heater in a glass jar maybe and for lighting maybe 2 lamp sockets with a cord using warm lights produces alot of heat.
Taking shelfs then wairing light sockets would work nicely if you kept the closet warm and humid

I am also in the process of setting up a Petiolaris Complex home. My wife bought me fluoresecnt fixtures that accommodates two Grolites apiece. We'll see how that works. I bought a submercible heater and plan to either have it reside in the "tray" that the plants are in or in a large Prego spaghetti sauce jar of water. Many folks use fishtanks that are semi-enclosed, to promote humidity. Perhaps RL... or pingman or Chuck or Travis or... will see this topic.

Well I am seriously considering a 10 gallon setup for 2 easy wolly dews.

My set ups is in 20 gal long aquarium on its side. I use about 76 watts of cfl's. The plants are raised on pots to be about 5 inches from the lights (through glass). In the summer, it will regulary reach over 110 degrees in the tank as the west sun hits the tank. In the winter, i use a heating cable to keep the tank bout 80 degrees.
Last winter almost all of the group went dormant.

Here are pics of my set up with winter heat cable:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets/72157600203879327/detail/

Peter

I've been considering petiolaris too. They went dormant in the winter? Don't you mean the summer? I'm planning on using a 10 gallon on a south facing sill, with growlights, sphagnum on the bottom, and a reptile heating rock buried in the sphagnum to make it nice and warm :banana2:

no, petiolaris group typicially go dormant in the winter. Tuberous drosera go dormant in the summer.
Peter

Does anyine have a picture of a petiolaris plant going dormant? I'm wondering if my paradoxa is doing so. There are several new leaves standing straight up, like a fist, with no indication of branching out and opening. Below them are the older leaves, nice and dewy.

Yep, definitely dormant

My D. dilatato-petiolaris (my only wooly) looked like this for the 1st 2 months I had it. I got it in May. In early July, once the room it was in had heated up to 80+ degrees (crappy insulation), it started to grow. It is doing fine but looks kind of bad because my grow-lights suck.

Where can I get a terrarium heating cable?

Any pet store will carry the reptile heating cables. or google it online.....
Peter.

Do petiolaris Drosera do best sitting in water? I have considered doing this, but I don't know if it is a good idea because the high heat and humidity in the set-up will most likely promote the growth of all kinds of nasty stuff. I grow non-terrerium plants, such as mexican pings in water trays, and although it works well, algae and other stuff can be a problem and can cause plants to rot.

Some people say water the n let dry out then some say keep in tray unless dormant. I don't know ???

Peter, what do you do for one that is experiencing the beginning of dormancy? What temps and light and water level?

Keep the temps above 70 degrees. I keep the medium moist but not sitting in water. I actually find D. paradoxa hard to get out of dormancy! The others like the woolies and D. falconeri seem easier to me!
In fact, i let a paradoxa get too dry one time and the plant is dead.

Peter

D. paradoxa - Lol! Hence the name! Not sure what this plant wants to do. Now I see 4 leaves bending outward, as if they are going to fully open, "business as usual". I have the whole Petiolaris complex (3 plants so far) in a tub with a submercible heater. Temps are barely over 70 right now. My wife is going to get me a 5.5 gallon tank - for aesthetic reasons!

You can keep paradoxa wet while in dormancy. Done it numerous times with mine when they go "dormant". This is the only one I would advocate that for however.

Slurm,

For your tank it is probably easier/safer to use the heat cable like Pingman suggested or make a false bottom and drop a fully submersible aquarium heater into the reservoir you create that way. THe risk of a jar based setup is great because the water dries up faster than you realize...

The temp is up to ~80 and I had to leave for work. I'll be tweaking it until things top out at about 90. I'll probably do some semblence of a false bottom, to keep the water from evaporating too quickly on that Petiolaris / B. liniflora setup.

Does the paradoxa in this picture look as if it is going dormant?

DCP_1841.jpg

Center right?

Yeah, looks like it

Back