What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Growchamber Question

I am considering getting a growchamber from this link:
http://www.4hydroponics.com/grow_room/homebox.asp
I was wondering if anyone has used this. Or if anyone can see pros and cons, (other than it is kinda pricey) advantages or disadvantages, or if anyone has something similar that they use. Any help or advice is appreciated!

I think it looks interesting. I have not used it, but here are some observations:

Some pros:
Humidity could be kept high
Easy to move around and transport

Some cons:
You cannot see your plants unless you open it up.
It might build up too much heat if the lights are inside.

Another note: Nepenthes really like air circulation, and don't do well in stagnant situations. You'll want to at minimum put a fan in there so the air keeps moving around. And it shouldn't be kept sealed, or as Dave says, it will cook.

Capslock

a pot box :grin:

BTW you can put together something yourself for much cheaper.......

Thanks guys! Rattler Mt., can you give me some ideas of a cheaper version?

rolls of plastic at a hardware store, few 2x2s, saw, few screws, power drill and a staple gun...................size is limmited only by the room you have....mine is about 7'x7'x7'.........thinking of expanding :grin:

I hate to ask, but do you have any pics of yours so I can get an idea?

dude your taking me away from my beer............. :grin:

this isnt quite what i was thinking as mine is a fixed structure where the one you showed was more or less movable.....to change it from my "design" to movable you just have to frame out a box with 2x2's also i didnt use 2x2's as i had some 2x4's sitting in the garage.........

here is the whole thing:
IMG_0037.jpg

wood is on the OUTSIDE of the plastic to help prevent them from rotting in high humidity
IMG_0038.jpg

ive also got the 2x4's sitting on concrete blocks as for some reason our washer over flows occasionally......2x4's are also just screwed to the floor joists.....for me they are just there to lend a bit of support to the plastic
IMG_0039.jpg

the ceiling is covered with plastic to prevent mold....and loss of humidity
IMG_0040.jpg

some of the occupants
IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

Back