What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sphagnum heat tolerance

I am setting up a lowland nepenthes terrerium and I am wondering if it is possible to grow a sphagnum "carpet" in lowland conditions. The plants will be in potts, but the pots will be sitting on those expanded clay things (forgot the name). Since they are used in hydroponics and hold small amounts of water, I figure that they would be a good medium for sphagnum to grow over. Is there any one type of sphagnum that grows better in warm conditions. I have a small patch of sphagnum outside that survived a 105f heat wave for 2 weeks, but I heard that standard sphagnum used in outdoor bog gardens needs a cool dormancy. I have heard that in SE Asia, sphagnum begins to appear at about 1000m elevation and is largely absent in the lowlands.

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Sphagnum definitely does better with a night time drop in temperatures, but it does fine in lowland conditions, too.

I'll advise against using Hydroton pellets to sit your plants on. Instead, I recommended making a false bottom. This is just egg crate sitting on top of PVC sections or pots or something. It's much easier to clean and siphon off water if you need to. You wouldn't be able to grow Sphagnum on it unless you layed down a layer of medium on top of it first. You can slip a heater or a fogger into the water under the false bottom if you need to.

Slurm,

I have two forms of sphagnum growing in my lowland conditions. One is the temperate form which came with plants I ordered from overseas. The other form is from Malaysia. Both forms do well under bright light in my N. ampullaria pots which I keep sitting in a tray of water. The N. ampullaria plants are potted in LFS and perlite.

Back