What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

metal halides

Well, everyone already knows me as a plant freak anyway... maybe I should stop having fits of excitement about Nepenthes rajah during geometry.
Well, just one more question... I think. Will 10,000 lumens serve to light up a 17 inch deep, three foot long, and 12-ish inch high terrarium? I was thinking of purchasing the light that thbjr included in one of his links. Would that work for a few woolies, or will I need something stronger? I can put them very close to the light. Thanks for all the help, guys.

I think that light would do fine for the set-up you discribed. Here, http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq6010c.html, Barry Rice discribes building a terrarium and if I remember right, he uses 2, 4" shop light on a 65 gallon aquarium. 4', 40W T12 bulbs have around 3000 lumens, if my memory is working. That would be around 4x3000=12.000 lumens for a grow area a foot longer than yours. So, judging by that, you'll have plenty of light for your grow.

Instead, I'm going to try my luck at petiolaris complex dews. I have a 30 gallon terrarium that I could lay on its side, and hook up with one of those 20,000 lumen 4 foot T5 light fixtures that guy has on his eBay store. Then, I could add a reptile heating cable, put a false bottom of eggcrate for the pots to sit on, maybe put in some sphagnum for the natural look, and throw in da plants, namely petiolaris hybrids and some lowland neps like amps.

Hmmmm...... This set-up sounds oddly familiar.... LOL

haha! I just dug through a few of your threads and found your terrarium thread, and it's exactly the same!
I might be able to save a bit of cash by just doing what Mr. Rice does and buying cheap flourescents of the right color temperature. I'll go see what the hardware store has, and pay close attention to the "terrarium lighting 101" thread (thanks to whoever started that, it's extremely helpful!)

Back