What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant water from Snow

Hi All,

I'm new and I searched the forum for this and didn't see anything. I'm up in Northern Michigan and one thing we have plenty of right now is snow. So if rainwater is good for cp's then how about bringing in a few buckets of snow to thaw and use that? Of course I'd avoid the yellow stuff, but I can't see anything wrong with it. Any comments?

Cory

I do that in the winter. It works just fine! No worries! Yes, stay away from the yellow snow!

I've done that.... shovel snow into plastic buckets.

You may not find it very satisfying. It's amazing how little water there really is in a bucket of snow. I did it once and decided it just wasn't worth the trouble.

What's snow?
It's that weird white stuff laying about 18" deep in my front yard. Snows fine if your in an area that doesn't have a lot of air pollution. As endparenthesis said, a bucket full of snow doesn't amount to much when it melts, so you'll need to top off the bucket with snow until it fills.

Nuttin...what's gnu with you?

I forget where I heard this...I think from WildBill...but they had the awesome idea of shoveling snow into one of those big coolers with the spigot at the bottom. Then, once the snow's melted, just use the spigot to fill up water containers.

Hi All:

What I do is save my empty pop and milk containers and in the winter melt the snow and store it in them. In the summer I use the water from my dehumidifier for all my epiphyllums and CP's. We dont have much snow here in Erie, PA we missed out on the bid Noreaster that came through. We'll get it eventually though.
FWIW,
Anna

We dont have much snow here in Erie, PA we missed out on the bid Noreaster that came through. We'll get it eventually though.
Suprised. We got hammered.

Back