What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My reconstructed terrarium

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
After reading how many of you 'professional' growers constructed your terrariums, I decided to rebuild mine. Please take a look and PLEASE tell me if you see any fatal flaws in the build.
Here is it, step by step.
I started off by mixing 1 part activated charcoal (9oz) to about 3 parts peat and 3 parts perlite. I then buried in a serpentine shape, about 80" of perforated tubing into 4 rows about 2" apart up and down the length of the aquarium. There are 160 holes, the pin going through both sides of the tubing at 1" intervals. This will both aerate the soil and slowly ventilate/circulate the air in the terrarium.

Poking+holes.JPG

burying+tubing.JPG

Then I added about 3"-4" of sphagnum.

Adding+sphagnum.JPG

Then I added the plants.

planting.JPG

Pots+in+place.JPG

Finally I added a layer of live sphagnum.

Placing+live+sphagnum.JPG

And the finished terrarium.

finnished.JPG

Here is a list of most of the supplies I used and the cost.
Charcoal (9oz) $5.00 @ WalMart
Dual output Air Pump $12.00 @ Walmart
Aquarium w/hood $25.00 @ WalMart
100w GE 6500K CFL's 2 pack $6.50 @ WalMart
Airline $2.50 @ WalMart
Timer $5.00 @ Lowes
Sphagnum $3.50 @ Lowes
Airline T's and valves $3.00 @ Petsmart
Total about $65.00

what+I+used.JPG

OK now, sugestion on anywhere I could improve on this?

Awsome job, I cant wait to see what it will look like down the road.

where'd you get the live sphag from?
why not just plant them directly into the media?

where'd you get the live sphag from?
why not just plant them directly into the media?

It would be difficult to move them around or work with them if there are problems. And someday they will be too big of the terrarium.

xvart.

so i guess its safe to say that its just merely for asthetics? and I guess maybe a humidity increase?

Humidity for sure; but, some also use it as a water method because the pots will soak up less water from the sphag moss than sitting in water.

xvart.

Good idea,I love those cfls for smaller tanks.
For my tank I may consider doing the airline thing for my 55 gallon tank for waatering and airation....

Looks good. I would probably go for more light, but that might be fine.

Thanks for all the input guys. I got the live sphagnum on eBay, just do a search for 'carnivorous plants' and you'll find at least 2 auctions for it.
Xvart is correct, some of those CP's don't like sitting half submerged, like the VFT does, and for moving them around, for the time being, I'll leave them in their pots. The humidity is arounf 70-75 percent during the day and increases to 95+ percent at night. As for the lighting, the 2, 100w CFL's seem to be doing the trick. I've been using them for about 6 weeks now and all the plants are growing vigorusly. I have the knockout for the water filter pump in the back of the lighting hood open. I'd guess it's an area of about 10-15 percent, open and that seems to be enough of an opening for ventilation as my temp in the house is 74 and in the terrarium it's 80 with the lights on.

Here are a few more pictures.

DSCI0237.JPG

Left half closer up.

DSCI0238.JPG

Right half.

DSCI0239.JPG

Again, thanks for the comments and I keep you posted on it's progress.
Oh yes, the round spots on the 'foil' covering the back and sides of the tank are from Christmas 'foil' wrapping paper. Maybe Santa will bring me some real mylar... Ho! Ho! Ho!

Maybe Santa will bring me some real mylar... Ho! Ho! Ho!

Ahh...what every good boy and girls wants! Congrats, you are now a cp-nerd! :D

Thank, thbjr. Now I am inspired to prepare a terrarium for my CPs. :)

geepers Ms. Cindy, I didn't even know thay have WalMart in Singapore....just kidding!
I've seen your pictures on your website, you've got a nice grow already growing.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Tom

very well done. looks very neat and well thought of. Definately better than planting it in directly as I did last year. ;)

Back